LaPala

Lure Testers

I've been making lures for sometime now & I am usually also the field tester besides passing on some to frieds for trials. But feed back are not always as detail or informative as I would've like it to be. I don't trust myself as I know my own lures and how to fish it to it's best advantage including it's flaws so I can be highly biased & productive at the same time with my ownn lures.

1) Do any of u have a premade field testing form or suggestions as what should the standard feedback be?

2) And what are the criterias for selecting a field tester?

Thanks in advance for helping me out guys.

Wow, I figured this one would have had some feedback by now :?

LaPala, I'm VERY new to making hardbaits.."well seasoned" in tying flies, and , have wet a line enough to be comfortable with putting in my 2 cents on fishing topics :wink:

Anyhow, with my flies, and now my hardbaits, I only worried about ONE persons opinion of my baits..MINE! I gather, from your work and from your help and discussions that YOU are likely your BEST critic.

As far as field testing, I am fairly confident that you look at as much, or MORE, criteria as any other manufacturer. Quality of components, craftsmanship in assembly and finish, action of the lure, hooksetting abilty, and durability of finish :censored: LOL (This one has been kicking my butt with the Pike)

I guess, in closing, I'll share something I was blessed with learning right at the start (This April) I was down to the river , with a friend, testing my first glider. At the first cast, I was dissapointed cause it didn't swim like "all the others" I even commented about it to my buddy. Second cast, I was working the bait in, watching the action, and complaining about it's "swim" when BAMMM! a Musky of the low to mid fourties come up and smacked the bait. Now, he didn't get the hooks..but he (or likely "she") lit a heck of a fire in me :D And it happened on a "crappy" bait.

Just my 2 cents..and , if you're still looking for a tester, I'm still happy to add more baits to my box :grin: Bottom line, I think you..and those crazy looking fish you catch, are your best critics!

Peace, Bart

PS. will pm ya soon..been busy :oops:

what we do at woodieb8s is . we have the local charterboat captains run product. introducing a new color to a complete new design. the problems in the market are all with there hands out. feedback on product befofer it hits the markets is worth a million bucks. just a few thoughts from the great white north.

OK LP, it is my turn....... Forget about field testors. You should know whether the bait is good or not. There should be no flaws in your baits. If there is, then fix them. The biggest gripe that I have about bait companies and many bait makers is that the people that make the baits don't fish them. They do not take the time to really understand what makes a great crankbait. This is why many of the "hardcore" bait makers on this site get pounded with questions on "how exactly do you make your baits?" These people are just in it for the money and they are not willing to invest the time to really learn how to make a great bait and what a great bait should do. They will get some pro that has won money on spinnerbaits to test, give recommendations, and endorse crankbaits. This is garbage!! My thoughts are "What does this pro know about crankbaits?" You are the one that needs to know that the bait works and functions correctly. It is "your" job as a baitmaker to know what it takes to make the bait the best that it can be. Forget about guys that will take free baits from you, tell you stuff that you want to hear and walk away with your work for free. You put in alot of time and work at making your baits. You have the tallent and knowledge. Perfect it and make your baits with confidence. Once you do not question your work and the performance of the bait, then it is ready for others to use. There is no bias.... only fact. The bait is either right..... or it is not. That is my opinion.

Skeeter B)

I agree with Skeeter. You are creator, the father of bait and you are the one who knows it best.

As in my case - I know that my baits work well for all predator species here in Lithuania. I even don't fish them, just look how they run in testing tank and I know - this bait will work. This will not - small corrections - OK, it will work B) and they works :oops:

but I am not sure if bass will like it. I've tested my models in US - they catch fish, but now I have in mind some new models and I will have to test them in US. So I am facing this problem now ? the field testers. I've found some really nice people; they are sending me all the smallest remarks and suggestions. But such people are 1 from 10. The other 9 take the lure and go away...

BTW, my partner came from ICAST 2005... (I didn't get the visa) from what he told me I felt very very small fish in ocean of whales :D but anyways it was good experience, I think we will find our bay in that big ocean... RAIBAS is our new brand name... what do you think of it. I don't like it, because I think it is hard to pronounce it in English. My call was - VOBLE or WOBLE :D

P.S. here is the website I put together last week: www.raibas.com

Thanks guys for the feedback on Lure Testers & the PM's too.

You guys are right, I'm the creater of my lures and I should know what's best for those lures. We do design lures for a particular situation/condition and/or species not to mention some lure I make do have a how to use it clause too :D. Getting a lure out into the world is to expose it to more varied conditions. Ppl using them would just have to find out where and how it will work for them. B) :grin: I should not worry about ppl who expect to throw a crank out, reel it back & expect to catch fish consistantly with it.

woodieb8: Thanks for the pointer as well, guess that would be the way to go if I plan to go comercial with my lures. Get it to the ones who really matters.