cesportsman

Latex Primer

Im new to this but tried to prime a balsa crankbait with Exterior Latex American Tradition primer I bought at Lowes. I dipped and let sit for 6 hours and when I tried to sand it started to peel off. Should I seal it first and then prime or use an oil based primer/sealer instead. Did I sand to soon? I attached a pic of the baits before I primed them for you pros to look at, tell me what ya think. Thanks for the help in advance!

cesportsman,

Look at this article that I have referenced

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/kb.php?mode=article&k=20

this tell you how to seal the bait in plastic first, then you can prime it with just about anything. However with this sealer there is really no need to prime it. I just paint right on this plastic seal as it is nice and smooth. However if you need to you can sand this down and make it even smoother.

The reason that it peeled is because it is Latex paint. Latex is a rubbery substance. It does not really sand well. You can just touch sand it with fine sandpaper to knock off the sheen so that other paint may adhere better, but it is not really necessary. If you want to sand your basecoat then I would just use a plain flat white.

Skeeter

I like to undercoat with epoxy on balsa. Mix up some 2 Ton Epoxy, cut it with a few drops of lacquer thinner or acetone and paint it on with a brush. It soaks into the top surface of the wood, making it tough and waterproof. You can let it cure as a thick coat and sand off the gloss afterwards or you can paint it on and wipe most of it off with a cloth after a few minutes, so you won't need to sand it. Others use solvent based primers like polyurethane, etc. Alot of things work OK except water based acrylics, which aren't very strong and will raise the wood grain.