Sign in to follow this  
Toddo1513

How to tell if it's polycarbonate

6 posts in this topic

Toddo1513    0

I had a piece of unmarked clear sheet plastic given to me under the premise that its is polycarbonate. Is there any way to confirm this before I use it? Thanks.

cheesehead    0

If you try to bend it acrylic will snap and or shatter very fast. be sure to wear a face shield if you try this as it can be as sharp as broken glass. Polycarbonate will bend most of the time. I do not know if this relates to any of the other clear plastics or not though.

Toddo1513    0

Well thanks for the replies. The "hammer" test and the "simply try to break it in half" test proved that what I have is NOT polycarbonate. I bought a small piece of Lexan from Home Depot and ran the tests side by side. Lexan will not shatter like acrylics and other clear plastic when you bend it severely. I made two deep diver cranks with this other plastic and I think I'll either retire them or change the lips.

Toddo1513    0

Well thanks for the replies. The "hammer" test and the "simply try to break it in half" test proved that what I have is NOT polycarbonate. I bought a small piece of Lexan from Home Depot and ran the tests side by side. Lexan will not shatter like acrylics and other clear plastic when you bend it severely. I made two deep diver cranks with this other plastic and I think I'll either retire them or change the lips.