finlander

Tissue printing L-A-R-G-E-R

Looking to cover a 12 and 14" cedar lure for muskies. On an earlier post someone mentioned to change to legal size paper setting. I am printing on a trimmed 9x12 tracing paper, adhearing to only the side of the lure body. If I have to match up two different sheets, so be it. The fish can't tell. Thanks.

Have you tried laying out your picture diagonally? A standard sheet of paper is just shy of 14" corner to corner so it should work for a 12" lure.

you could print onto two sheets of paper and join them with a small overlap or even a but joint. Otherwise you could print the back half of the image and paint the head of your lure

Has anyone printed on both tracing and tissue? The quality is poorer on the tissue, when I do it anyway.

Tracing paper takes the print better but is opaqe and will prevent tbe undercoats to come through. The Tissue literally vanished, yet the printed image remains. Tissue also lays on the lure, much better.

Are you using the Gift Wrap tissue?

It is the stuff that's folded 3 times and I use it to stuff gift boxes. Real cheap stuff, 25 sheets for a buck. I have not gone out and bought any. I am using what i found here, probably left over from last Christmas. I found out that Hobby Lobby carries some tracing paper 14x17". That paper is firmer. Seems like the tissue bleeds abit.

It is the stuff that's folded 3 times and I use it to stuff gift boxes. Real cheap stuff, 25 sheets for a buck. I have not gone out and bought any. I am using what i found here, probably left over from last Christmas. I found out that Hobby Lobby carries some tracing paper 14x17". That paper is firmer. Seems like the tissue bleeds abit.

That's it. It's that bleeding effect that allows the foil and color to come through. BTW, once you glue it to the foil, you can touch it up with a pen to sharpen lines and details.

I put a netting under the foil, then run a roller over the foil to emboss a scale pattern to it. Looks neat. I've been looking for a gold color foil for awhile. Not a mylar, or a gold wrapping paper that has a paper backing to it, too stiff. Anyone ever come accross 'gold' aluminum foil?

I put a netting under the foil, then run a roller over the foil to emboss a scale pattern to it. Looks neat. I've been looking for a gold color foil for awhile. Not a mylar, or a gold wrapping paper that has a paper backing to it, too stiff. Anyone ever come accross 'gold' aluminum foil?

Try any places that sells candy making supplies. Colored foil is commonly used as candy wrap. Let you fingers do the walking!

Finaaly etex'd a perch pattern yo one of my 12" bodies using the tissue paper. It does lay down on top nicely. I sprayed black over that and it . the paper's edge, disappears. The belly however might be rough. Some trimming to do since the white belly will show the paper's edge. From a distance, a few feet, the tracing paper looks as good as the tissue paper. Still have to etex the whole body after the lip, wire and weights go it. I bet it'll shine under 2 coats. Thanks again.

I dont think that this has been metioned before on this website, but has anyone here tried using Printing foil. I used to use it at work at one time, and it would seem like an obvoius choice for this type of work.

you use a heated item to press the foil onto your item. I know it works with leather, paper and other items.

I looked at the foil on the internet and done some reading about it. I just haven?t had the time to play with it yet. I can see some advantages with it and I have some ideas to try with it.

The fish carving guys use wood burners to create their scale detail. They make custom tips shaped like the scales to burn the elliptical shaped scale in the wood. I was thinking of making a tip similar to that and adding a few foil scales to the sides and back with the foil. You could even make the scales look broken and missing in spots. :?