Boone

Eyes for Crankbaits

Stickers are not a bad idea. I know of folks that have used them. Most dot their eyes or spray them with templates. You can use an old drill bit or something round and dip it into some latex house paint and just touch it on the bait. This will make a perfect circle for you. The latex house paint is good because if you make a mistake you can just wipe it off with a damp cloth and start over again. Also that type of paint won't splatter. Lacquer and some other paints get a bubble in it and will splatter when you dot the eye. You can't wipe that mistake off. Once lacquer or most acrylics are laid down it is there for good. Those that use templates to paint eyes use lacquer. You can shoot the eye and it will be completely dry in just minutes. With the latex, you have to give it a couple of hours to dry. The choice is yours.

Skeeter

I use stickers usually. I like the realistic look they typically give. I don't think it makes much difference to the fish. I buy mine from Janns Netcraft or Cabelas (who ever has them in stock). They work great and always turn out good. Only catch is sometimes dependent upon the bait shape you may have to drill recess points to get the eyes to sit flush.

why not try this out: home made 3-d eyes!

been making the eyes for abt a year now...here goes:

1. u need reflective paper/sticker/decal/holographic ribbon etc etc...

2. use a paper punch to get the round shape everytime.

3. mix 5-minute epoxy(white + black) & put a drop right at the centre of the punched out circle. wait to dry abt 30mins. this will be the 'pupil'. it is not exactly black, but looks dark enough....

4. mix 5-minute CLEAR epoxy and drop over the the pupil. make sure u rotate the eyes to prevent the epoxy from accumulating to any one side of the eye. make sure u mix em well as not to create bubbles. alternatively, u may try to use devcon 2-ton 30 min epoxy but i prefer the 5-min as they set up pretty quick, easier to handle & cause less 'distortion' to the eyes.

i've posted a pic in the photo section as reference...enjoy making ur own eyes!

F/Tiger:

If you're using Devcon, then the clear can be tinted with thinner based paint, just a drop or 2 should be enough. No need to search for the black ones (opens up ur creative thinkering too if u use transperant (candy) paint & tint it moderately to let the clear just have a hint of color.)

One other thing, try putting ur stickers on the head of a nail, then if u have slight excess epoxy on ur eye, it's easier to trim off & not over flow the sticker circle & stick to whatever surface u have it on.

thanx LaPala for the tip! does gloss paint work on Devcon as well? (u know those cheap rm2 small cans dat u can get everywhere)

camel,

usually i do them on the lures as well. i paste the stickers on the lure itself to take up the final shape, then drop the epoxy. i prevent 'overflowing' buy doing only an eye at a time, this way i can 'balance' the fluid epoxy by rotating the lure till the 5-min epoxy hardens. then off to the next one...

riverman,

yeah, i'd buy them too if they're on sale here. ehhehehehe...saves me the trouble. i don think they're that costly either. but one thing's for sure, everything's custom about my lures! that's what i learnt from this site!.... woodcarving, wire bending, eye making, lip shaping, the finishing... except split rings & trebles (and some copycat designs...)! trying to learn to make dressed trebles now...

GUYS, sorry but i'm a bit held up by some work here. i promise a full tutorial in a week or two, once i get my hands on some materials. thanx for the support. happy luremaking ppl!

Tally,

if i found TU earlier, i would not have to go thru all those trials n tribulations in making those eyes myself! hahaha...i'd like to give the glue-gun method a try...looks simpler to fabricate anytime. thanx for finding the tutorial!

cheesehead,

i have also thought of the same idea before. here, i found some plastic 'crystals' used for making earring-studs & belly-button ring studs. beautiful...but definitely not cost effective. 10 pieces of the medium sized ones cost abt MYR 30 which is a lot for a student like me. comes to abt less than 9 US bucks to u guys. all i can say about the effect is, well, "sparkling-ly brilliant!"

alternatively, LaPala mentioned to me once to use 'sequins', those round flashy stuffs they sew on clothes. they look good as well. u can get them in many choice of colors.

I mostly use the 3D eyes from Janns Netcraft or other online tackle shops. Staminainc.com carries little foam paintbrushes called "eye dotters" made for this purpose. Sort of like a foam Q-tip but smaller. Dip them in acrylic latex and touch it to the bait. You can load quite a bit of paint on them to get a 3D effect.

For those that use a hole punch, Here is an easy way to make your eyes! I have two different size hole punches. The larger size I cut hole into Aluminum Foil, or White or Red Electric tape. That is the base of the eye. Then the smaller hole punch I cut out holes from black electric tape. I tape the small circle from the hole punch onto the aluminum foil.. VIOLA! A nice perfect circle inside a circle eye! If you want to add the hot glue gun to that for the 3D effect... go for it. It is so simple and easy to do and it is VERY cost effective! If you use the tape, it will stick to the lure where you put it, and mine usually hold up during my Clear Finishes! Cody

also as someone posted, different sized wooden dowels make perfect dots for eyes and kill spots, I use a thicker paint for eyes and spots because it seems to dry a little raised from the paint, I use the Walmart Delta paints for eyes and spots, about as thick as you want a craft paint to be, also take a paper towel and wipe off as much paint off the dowel as possible before using it to apply another eye or spot, let paint dry for a few minutes before applying the pupil or another color for 3 color type technique

I thought someone would post this idea and I tried to find where I got it from, but the post did come from TU a few years back. No credit for me. If you are just wanting to paint good eyes here is how I paint them and it is very simple. First you need to get a wooden dowel rod. Get one that is big enough but not too big.....maybe the size of a pencil. Now find some nails with different heads on them and with a little trial and error you will see which nails heads produce the size eyes and pupils you are after. Now that you know the size of the nail heads, cut a piece of the wooden dowel long enough to fit comfortable in your hand like a pencil. Now take the nails you want to use and hammer them in far enough that they will stay but leave them sticking out enough to make the dot for the eye. dip the head of the nail into the paint and then make the dot on your lure. You do not want the nail head to hit the lure.....just the paint and it will make a perfect eye. After that eye has dried you can use the other size nail head to make the pupil.

Tally