Toddo1513

Lost my first bait

I know this by far isn't the first time anyone has lost the first bait they ever made, but I experienced this yesterday and it isn't fun. I didn't make it to sit on a shelf, but it still hurts. It had a killer perch paint job from my buddy Seb.

I'd like to know if anyone has an opinion on Luresavers splitrings. My partner is fearful that although we target bass, we'll hook a Musky or other big fish and lose it because of them. I'd just like to have a better chance of getting my lures back. We had a homemade lure retriever but it didn't work. Any other retrieval options would be also appreciated. I searched the hard bait category for Luresaver, but it came up empty.

Toddo,

My condolences, I know how you feel. The same thing happend to me. As far as the rings go, I've never tried them, but from what I know of muskie, I'd say I'd take the chance with them. From all I've heard, they are a very elusive fish and the chances of hooking up with one while bass fishing are slim. It can, and does, happen, but I'd still take the chance.

I have a plug knocker I got from somewhere in Canada that I really like. It's HEAVY and you thread your line in and around and through it (probably hard to get a mental image there). You let it slide down a taut line and so far, it hasn't failed me. You just have to let it go FAST. I wish I had it when I lost my first carved crank!

Again, my condolences!

It's funny you brought up those split rings....I spoke with the owner of the company,and we are working on a deal too equipt my lures with them.

Will you lose fish too them...NO....provided you use the right size too the line you are using.I've seen them demoed,and when fighting a fish,the flex of the rod,and your drag keeps the rings from opening.When snagged,you point your rod straight at the lure,and pull steady on the line which allows the rings too open..Pretty slick..Nathan

You can use any type of plug knocker you want, but is you fish long enough you are just going to lose a lure now and then.

I have seen those rings and thought about trying them but I just never did. I think Hughsy has them on his site.

Lesson learned????? I never fish any of my first baits. I have them and keep them and even look back at them to see how much I have improved (if any) since I made that bait. Yes I make them to fish with also, but there is something special about that first one.

Tally

No, I did not make it. This plug knocker is the standard issue here in Lexington. They are not made any more. Fritts had Bass Pro Shops making them years ago. They were plastic coated. This is one of the originals that were sold here. They were not coated.

Skeeter

Lucky you skeeter!!!!!!!!

The coated knockers are alright when they are new but they will eventually get places in the coating that does not allow the mono to travel correctly. I have not seen the one you have before and the only ones that I use have chains dangling from the weight.

sometimes it is hard to beat "old" technology.

Tally

Thought I would jump in here since it drives me crazy to hang up and lose any crankbait!I have tried just about every type on the market and found something i did and did'nt like with all of them,so I made my own and it works like a charm.Get you a 1oz. egg sinker and put a small nail thru the hole in the sinker and attach a regular heavy size snap swivel to the end if the nail bending the nail to secure the swivel to it.when you hang those plugs up simply open the snap and put your line in and close it up then drop the weight down to the lure and bounce it up and down.usually knocks it rite off but if you need more weight just stick more of them on there.I keep four or five of these in my boat and they work great and you can make them for around .40 cents each.Usually need at least three on your line if the crank is down there deep but they really work well for me.

If you fish crankbaits much you need a lure retriver. I first try a "pocket rocket", a 2 oz egg sinker with a snap swivel attached and 85% of the time it does the job. You also need a heavier retriever like a Hound Dog or whatever when that doesn't work. A neat idea is to attach the large retriever to an automatic dog leash. I have a pretty functional attitude about cranks and I think it's a disservice to the crankbait and its maker not to fish them to best effect - and that means never hesitate to contact cover with them. Yes, you'll lose the occasional crankbait. Build another.

I know this by far isn't the first time anyone has lost the first bait they ever made, but I experienced this yesterday and it isn't fun. I didn't make it to sit on a shelf, but it still hurts.

Yesterday I lost actually not my very first, but my first really producing lure. It was my mistake. Most likely the line was injured, because it broke, in spite of weak drag setting. I should have pensioned off my little dear, and put to the shelf from my box, but hey, no use to cry over spilt milk. Let this pic stand for a memory here, with the best fish caught on it.

folk

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

balin040826_100.jpg

1611_thumb.attach

hmm... so far i've lost 2-3 lures due to snaggy areas, mainly new places which i am not familiar with. all the effort gone, resting below the waterbed. it's sad, but then life goes on. today, i just lost another one, just finished barely 3 days ago. here's the pic of my lure, with the 1st and last fish ever caught on it. it's a juvenile giant snakehead (channa micropeltes) that u guys over in the US are trying to get rid off ( i read some time ago).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/FYRTYGR/toman001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/FYRTYGR/toman002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/FYRTYGR/toman003.jpg