cranker

Newby with paint problems

:) Hello, I am just getting started airbrushing my own custom colors on crankbait bodys that I cant buy in the stores.I have gotten started totally from information off this site and it has been very helpful so far.I am doing well on baits with large spray patterns but on smaller patterns such as baits with thin orange bellys or thin black backs I am having allot of trouble with overspray,splatter, or just not getting a good quality result.I am spraying the wal-mart Apple Barn Acrylic paints,thinning them good and paying close attention to my pressure which is adjustable on my compressor.Is my problem allot to do with this cheap paint or is my problem human error.I am using a double action aztec sprayer but have ordered myself a Paasche VL to try to solve some of these problems.I have fallen in love with this airbrushing my own cranks and want to get allot better at it than what i am after two months of trying.

First off, make sure your gun is clean. Sometimes what you think is clean and what you gun thinks is clean can be 2 different things. After that, check the viscosity of your paint. You don't want it like water but it should be pourable (some say the same consistency as milk). Lastly, practice!!! It takes a few tries and failures to get your set-up right so you can shoot those fine lines. Shoot onto a piece of paper until you get the gun/compressor adjusted right. It may take multiple passes depending on the type of paint used and the desired outcome.

I hope this helps some! For me this would much easier to show than explain.

Thanks guys,I will try some of these tips and see if that helps me some.Iam thinking seriously about trying the createx paint to see if that helps as well.Just hard to give up on paint that is readily available in many colors and only .44 a bottle!Also I dont know how many of you already know it but I have ran across a web site that pretty much beats the socks off everyone else on paint and airbrush supplys.Check them out and probably save some money! bearair.com I will soon post some pics of my work and let you guys tell me what you think,sometimes the best help you can get from people is just by them giving you their opinions!

I know alot of guys including myself have and continue to use createx paints. They are difficult to spray. I would recommend going with a paint that is already prethinned and spending a little extra on your paint. A good color selection is www.smithpaints.com. These are thinned and finer pigments, taxidermy paints. Auto air is better as well. JMO......after a while the hassles arent worth the cost savings.. Of course a good airbrush make a difference as well.

It is my experience that overspray is caused by either not enough pressure or the paint not being thinned enough. Try jacking the pressure up to about 30 psi. and learn to shoot thin. On the paint try a 3:1 or 3:2 mix. 3 parts paint and 1 part thinner. The thinner in your case is water. If 3:1 doesn't get it then try 3:2. This is just something that you have to play with and learn. I have been shooting baits for 5 yrs. and still have my moments.

Skeeter

Cranker...I would have to go along with what Skeeter mentioned. Play around with your air pressures for finer detail work. When I do fine detail work I normally practice on paper first...get your paint thin enough to about the consistancy of milk. Then try spraying at different distances to where it is not splattering. If that doesn't work...play with air pressure some more. Maybe even reduce it and see what happens! I am not familiar with the paint you are using but, I can tell you, Createx when thinned properly is fantastic and shoots detail soft as a babies behind.

Thanks again guys,and I am glad to have found out about this site where so many people who share the same interest are willing to help other folks out in getting started.I am still playing with the pressure settings and paint thinning and probably will be alright once I get a little more practice.I have no choice but to be patient and figure it all out because I have fallen in love with painting these cranks.I will keep you posted on how I am doing as I get better and will soon post a photo of some of my work.

seems like you guys have alot better handle on the painting then i do...i just attempted to paint my first plastic hard bait with opaque createx air brush paint...it went on alright but when i went to take the mask off the paint came off as well...also do you guts use masks or how do you do detail work or for starter just basic shapes?

I don't use adhesive masks because I want gradual transitions from one color to another for a more realistic look. I do use friskets, a pattern you hold up in front of the bait to exclude areas from getting sprayed. Scale netting is an example but I also use a frisket cut from acetate for vertical bars on a sunfish pattern and another for speckles on a crappie pattern.