finlander

rolling action

My 12 abd 14 inch trolling baits have this rolling action to them. This is visible when I test them near the dock. I know i need a lil of that action, but I'm afraid they will spin out at higher trolling speeds. I know too much weight will kill the action. Where should I add lead to tone it down a it? thanks.

It is a wide bill. Wire thru the bill. Tie position is 1/3 the way out from the nose to the end of the lip. After posting the q I remember something about narrower lips have a tighter wiggle. This action is a rolling one, not a wiggle like the Rapalas. The back of the bait rolls about 25 degrees. Seems I get this action on all I have made this year, wood or polywood. I did not have the trebles hanging on it when I tested :? .

Finlander, with those big baits especially flat sided they want to have a slow "lazy roll" action,thats just the way that shape acts.You need to make a few different lip sizes and shapes to see what works for your body style and size.You may want to try bending the bottom portion of the lip like a 13" Grandma and make it narrower.It sounds like your lip is too wide.I went through 8 different lips before I got one I was happy with.Try screwing the lips in or use small nails to hold in place instead of glueing, so you can swap them out while testing.

Tom

Thanks Tom, how's the fishing been? Dumping blocks of ice into Murray yet?? I think I need to narrow the blade a touch, but no one has mentioned adding weight to it. I'm worried about it rolling out at a higher speed if I narrow the lip too much. Fine line I'm walking I guess. 5 weeks til Ontario, but who's counting...

They are one piece. The last coat of Etex went on tonight. Waiting for my order from Stamina to arrive so I can hang the 7/0 and the new split rings. I do have a threaded sleeve and some bolts that I could add lead to, if it came to that. Anchor the threaded sleeve into the body. Other weighting systems are out there too. I have already pinched a rubbercore onto the wire below the lip. I will play with it this Sunday. Maybe sahve some of the lip off on the sides. I really don't have a way to test it at 5-6 mph as our boats at the lake have electrics, and can only manage 3.2 mph. I just don't want these lures to spin out on my trip. Thanks.

Finlander,the fishing has sucked! I am waiting for the water to cool before I even try again.If it cools down soon, you are welcome to come out and fishtest baits in my boat.Send a pm if you like.I can show you what my 15" bait runs like.I would add belly weight as the last resort,because it robs the bait of action.The heavier it is the slower the action will be.Do as much tweaking as you can with the line tie and lip,then add weight to get the running speed you want.

Tom

Thanks Thomas. My cousin's boy is heading back to Phoenix next week. Two months sure went by quick. I wanted to take him to Oster or Murray, but after seeing the reports on the water temps, I decided I didn't want to kill any skis' due to the hot water. I had to get a 3rd bucket for my lrger baits. Bought one of Kingfisher's earlier models, and a 13 Grandma. These buckets are heavy. Might need to hire someone to tote 'em for me! bWik

It is guess work without seeing the lures. But shaving the size of the diving bill down just a little bit can decrease your action. Careful because too much shaving will eliminate your action completely. Also adding a feathered or dressed treble hook on the rear will tone down some of the action also. Shortening the length of the feathers or hair on the trebles will decrease the drag and give different results.

Thanks for the tips. We have a newer computer now, but it would not load the software for our card reader. i'm still fairly computer illiterate. Trying to print fish images larger on tissue paper is driving me to drink. Can't seem to get the image to ms word to enlarge the image to a size that will be printed on one sheet of tissue paper, 14" long. I need hands on, not someone telling me over the phone or internet. I don't see my lure images being available soon. I did not think of dressing the rear treble. The lips are about as wide as they are long. Used aluminum on these. Plan on hitting a few rocks with them.