Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smitty0312

Popper Question

7 posts in this topic

I want to make a popper, my question is, what's the easiest way to cup the front of the lure? The popper will be approx. 2-3 in. long, 1in. diameter round. Thanks

:D Hey Smitty, check out my tutorial and if you have any problems or questions just email and I'll be glad to help out. Ken

I WAS ALSO THINKING OF USING A DRUM SANDER TO DO THIS, I WOULD NEED DIFFERENT SIZES FOR THE DIFFERENT DIAMETERS. i DON'T HAVE ANY FORSTNER BITS, BUT MIGHT HAVE TO INVEST IN SOME. THANKS AGAIN. SMITTY

I WAS ALSO THINKING OF USING A DRUM SANDER TO DO THIS, I WOULD NEED DIFFERENT SIZES FOR THE DIFFERENT DIAMETERS. i DON'T HAVE ANY FORSTNER BITS, BUT MIGHT HAVE TO INVEST IN SOME. THANKS AGAIN. SMITTY

It can be done with a drum sander, it just gets hard to hold the bait in the right position to keep it even, and getting started is the hardest part. Try cutting the face of the bait on an angle, then knotch out a bit of the face. It will require you to remove less material with the drum sander. I attached a crude drawing to try to illustrate.

popperface.gif

Also, forstner bits are not very expensive. I use them for the rough cut then clean up with a drum sander.

For a deep cup on a topwater, I use two tools to do the job. Take a countersink and put the point in the center of the lures face. Drill as far as the stop allows. Then take a half round router bit the dia. needed for your bait and use it to open up the pilot hole created with the countersink. Works every time. You can put the bait in a vise and use a drill on slow speed. I have a small motor, to which I attached a drill chuck. The motor is mounted to a table and the speed is controlled by an old sewing machine foot pedal. Good Luck, Joe