cranker

Devcon and rocks

I have been having allot of problems with my devcon topcoat getting scuffed and allowing water to get to my paint when I crank around rocks.I fish rocks allot around here and would like to know if this is a common problem with the devcon or is there anything else I can do to get a stronger coating.

Devcon is just plain "Bad to the Bone"! All of my crankbaits are clearcoated with it. I fish around rocks all of the time. If the bait is just getting scuffed and water is getting to the bait then you have not covered the bait completely. Every clearcoat regardless of what it is made of or who makes it will scuff and scratch. Devcon will take alot of punishment. I have been fishing the same large deep running crankbait most of the summer. So far the bait has clocked over 34 hrs. of digging into stumps, ledges, rockpiles, and getting banged repeatedly with a plug knocker. The bait has caught over 45lbs. of fish and it is still solid and still going. Do not thin Devcon with anything and apply it with a slightly stiff brush. Wimpy bristles do not spread the clearcoat evenly. Pay close attention to the area where the lip enters the nose of the bait. This is where you can miss a spot when applying it. Also make sure that it is sealed around the hook hangers.

Skeeter

Skeeter,

Scuffing and abuse by rocks is the reason I normally use two coats of Devcon. It is really a tough finish. As I would think one coat evenly applied, as mine usually are, would suffice. I have seen how some of the Pros abuse their lures against structure. (IMHO) The second coat is just an extra layer of confidence to protect those precious paint jobs, no matter what the type of top coat is used.

Thanks for all the help.

bill

Word on what Skeeter said...if water is getting in, the application was at the prob. If you are using a bristle brush (assuming you are), get enough on the brush that it will sag, but not drip...start under the lip where the bill attaches, then work your way around, give close attention to the areas under the wire hangers.

Once you get the bait done, hold the bait up VERTICALLY directly underneath a desk light. If you have missed a spot, have an air pocket, have a piece of small debris, etc... the light will make those areas very visible. Fix those areas and it should take care of any water getting in.

re: scuffs, all clearcoats will scuff around rocks, etc...however devcon will take the beating much longer. By the time devcon gets really scuffed on a lure, a store bought lure's paint would have chipped off.

Good luck with it.