Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Turtleman

First lathe

6 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy my first lathe to make some topwater baits, i was wondering if anyone has used a Jet Pen Lathe, or if it would be big enough. if not what would be the best lathe for making lures.[/b]

Check out the Harbor Freight mini lathe. It is variable speed, without

moving belts around, it has a cast iron base. I have had one for 3+

yrs and it is still going strong.

Coley

I have a grizzly 8690 mini lathe and a Jet mini lathe. Both are good for plug making. The Jet is the better of the two, but more $$. I'm not familar with the pen lathe. If it is designed for making pens, it may not have enough power for plugs.

Andrew

Just another one to look at. I'm planning on going with one of these. Seems to have a good warranty, and made in the U.S. (No, I have no problem with foreign goods..just like to see the "U.S.A." sticker on some of my stuff :) [/http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TCLPRO&Category_Code=url]

PEN LATHE? Might want to look into "WOOD DOWELS". Its easy to turn and make sure the pen lathe can handle wood that big. I use a mini lathe but turn DOWEL ROD and use 1.5" diameter rod and turn till its 1" or whatever. Less choice of wood type but a big savings on time and tooling.