basstech

pre-manufactured drying wheels question

Hello all, needless to say I'm new here and new to lure painting. I've got thousands of dollars invested in tackle cause I'm an avid Bass angler, and by nature can't stand throwing anything out so I've got a lot of baits (mostly cranks) that need to be re-furbished. Robzilla turned me on to this site through another site, anyway I've bought all or nearly all the stuff I need (hobby lobby should cut you all in on a share of their profits) but the one thing I really need is a bait turner. I have know skill as a tinkerer and when I've tried to make my own Rod turner It ruined some beautiful Wraps that I had done because I well for lack of a better term "SUCK" at building mechanical gadgets that need balance have to work well to produce good results. With the rod turner the epoxy would run down the blank. I still have the motor for that but does anyone know of a manufactured/commercial Brand of bait turning wheel/wheels that I can just attach that motor too? I'm not nearly as handy at building these things as what I've seen you all do and I don't need a big one..something for between 5 to 10 regular bass baits at a time will be sufficient. Any help at all would be great and I promise ya I won't bombard any of ya all with a bunch of newbie questions that have already been answered at least a dozen times in this forum. Thanks, Fishingly, Basstech.

I did look at homebrew tools and everyone of those things is beyond my ability...at least without someone present helping me as I work...now I can spend 10 minutes with any busted computer just about and know what's going on there, where most people can only figure out that it's broke...electronics is simple stuff for me...but not most...where mechanical is simple to others...but not me. If making one is my only alternative I guess I will...thanks anyway.

I was in your position when I first started and I still have yet to build my first drying wheel. My impatience at the time I was ready to dry my first lure made me come up with a make shift contraption.

It consists on very basic parts but at least it really does work if you use Dev Cont 2 Ton Epoxy.

I suppose you can call it, "the poor man's drying wheel!" :-D

-ib

ib_drying_wheel_alternative_08-24-05_495.doc

Basstech, last year I bought a rotiserie (@HomeDepot) that is made for

a gas grill...basically a motor with a long metal spike that rotates.

I mounted the motor on a small block of wood which I then clamp

into a bench vise. Simple, works well for me.

Be careful to clamp the motor tight as it fell out one time and I ruined

about 8 baits (ouch! I was none too happy about that one).

Thank you all for your assistance. I got to looking at the one posted...most were way more than I need, but got the general idea. I already had a turning motor from custom rod building so I put a little more thought and shoved my self-doubt aside and actually built a wheel that can be used in it. It's nothing fancy but it works and took me more time to get the things I needed than to actually put together. I top coated my first five refurbs today. But one I have to sand down and re-coat. stuff set up really fast....I sure the heck didn't get a half hour and I actually had a smidge less hardener than resin. Anyway ...thanks again.