KandyBass

bagley original series

hey widow i was talking about the new Original Series they introduced last fall(?) I have caught a few fish on them but nothing spectacular. It is worth the extra money to buy the H&T baits. I have caught a ton of fish with the H-1 and H-2. hughesy and jeff thompson really has there stuff together. thanks this site is so informative. sometimes i read almost all night. (makes for a long day at work)

Lee Sission designed the B series plugs for Jim Bagley in the 1970's. He now makes his own. They are made out of Jelutong. Jelutong kinda reminds me of basswood. Jeff Thompson makes his baits out of Balsa. All Bagleys both old and new are made out of balsa. Charlie Mitchell and I talked to Lee at the Classic show in Charlotte. He is quite a gentleman and willing to discuss anything with you. There is nothing but honesty when you talk to this man. Nothing will be made like the original baits that Lee designed. That is because Lee cared. Now Bagley baits are just turn, paint, and give me the dough. They are now made overseas. They are no longer made in Winterhaven Fla. So the absolute best thing that you can do is find a good crankbait maker that cares and makes them right. If you have the skills, you could try to break an original Bagleys apart and put it back together the right way with everything lined up and some weight added.

Skeeter

I will agree that a "precision" made bait will out preform mass produced baits.The "old" Bagleys were a good bait yet they were mass produced,although maybe not in the quantities of today.I do not know.I do know that the "Bagley Originals" that are currently being sold are a decent throwback to the Bagley Baits of the 70's.They are using the square lips and the weighted lips.No wedge lips.The baits are weighted much more/better than they have been for years.These baits are better than what the company has produced in years.I believe they are using the old keys(patterns) and unless you are familiar with the baits from the 70's,they are going to look quite different than what they have produced for the last 25 years or so.Now can these baits compare to what a craftsman can produce?Probably not,from bait to bait, as more than one person is doing operations on these baits.They are one of the better production baits on the market.Sisson's current offerings are a bit lacking in the painting quality.Every time a good wooden crankbait catches on and the company has to expand and hire new employees,the quality suffers.It is a job for most employees,not a passion,as it was for the originators.There is one particular model of the new "Bagley Originals" that I hope does not catch on.

Skeeter, we like the Jelutong up here in Musky country. They (muskies) puncture and shread balsa. The Sisson baits I have been using have dents but nothing close to what a balsa bagley would look like after a few Muskies.

They are a little heavier than a DB-3, but I dont mind that since we are using heavier tackle anyway. I don't think I'd buy another DB-3 if I can get the Sissons.

I don't think they were as mass produced back then...Used to buy them at a discount store called TG&Y. Was a local discount store back in the mid-70's. Any way they were $3.50 to $5.00 bucks back then. which was probably a lot more money than the $5.00 to $6.50 they cost now days. And they were different...sure wish I still had some of my Old Balsa B's.