basstech

Just want to say thanks

I have no Idea who started this site. I have no idea who does this for a living, other than Blades and Baits, and Cullin 8's(and just found that out reading about the "better clear coat" post. I do no Skeeter is a moderator here and the only one I've seen. I also know that I've been wanting to customize the baits I have. Didn't really even know until last Friday that a person could actually make a top quality crankbait by hand.

Over the last ten years I've been "dreaming" about being able or finding a way to custom paint cranks and thought that was something that could only be done by Pradco companies or other "big" manufacturing companies, until I came here. You all have opened up a whole new world to me. I'm just starting off by refurbishing my pre-manufactured crankbaits I have. I just want to thank you all that have contributed to this side to make it possible for me to even begin. I don't want you all to get the impression that I'm coming here to soak off your knowledge because I'm not willing to do the work myself, and if I ask a question about something please keep in mind I really have no Idea what I'm doing. BTW...for any people new lure Painting...I've been going all over town to find netting material for scale effect. I bought the fine bridal tule but it is very stiff and the material seems to thin to allow the back coat to show through well. I admittedly did over spray it as well but I did find some netting material that will be about the same size but more thickness in the material between the holes to show the background color well ( I think, haven't actually used it yet) but it was some camo netting at wal-mart. It was also very soft and supple so should lay on the bait real well with some of the 3M 77 adhesive spray.

Thank you all.

Basstech, I, too, have been all over looking for different nettings --I've even

been to Fredrick's of Hllywood lingerie store...the sales clerk thought I

was nuts! Wal-mart, Fabric stores, Dollar stores should net you a few

different types to play with...

I'm not sure if I understand you are using adhesive spray to hold the

net on? I use some small spring clamps that work well. You could

also try a sewing ring to secure the net then hold it against the bait.

Enjoy your new endeavors-

Thanks Mcgarret, actually I did try the mini clips on the first set I repainted....fabric was too stiff and the clips to weak. I saw a reply to a post and someone said to use the 3m adhesive. Spray lightly ( I think it was skeeter) I know what that stuff is and tried that today on some new/different material I found at Wal-mart and it was much much better. LOL>>>then I over sprayed and generally did a crappy job putting silver pearl on the back over the pattern and screwed the baits up(just a little)...but no biggie...I don't think fish are real big art critics. Needles to say though my scale effect came out much cleaner and clearer. Next time I'll spray a little lighter too. Sure learned a lot in just the first eleven lures I'm refurbishing though, and quickly too I think, THANKS to the people at this site.

I also started by refurbishing and repainting my factory-built lures. You may find, as I did, that its actually a bit easier to build new stuff from scratch.

As to the choice of netting, while I'll be the first to acknowledge that the choice of netting is a personal one, the finer netting seems to produce more of a graded effect when blending the colors under/over the netting...again thats my preference most of the time. The camo netting you found at Walmart is working well for me.

This website is THE place for learning. I'm pleased with the way most guys here share information and I'm also pleased with the relative low display of elitist attitudes.

I can't imagine glueing the netting to the bait...never heard of that. I bought a pack of close pins at the dollar store and cut the ^^ ends off on the bandsaw to make the ends square so they'd be able to get right next to the belly of the lure.

Just cut a piece out big enough to cover your lure, double it over the top and close pin it all along the bottom pulling it snug as you go.

If your material is too stiff, run it through the washing machine and let it drip dry.

This is how I started also, refurbishing lures...first mine then for other people. It's been a fun ride so far and I'm still learning and experimenting all the time.

Just don't get frustrated, none of us learned what we know in a day...I wish I knew what some a these lure makers forgot. :)

If you need any help at all, please don't hesitate to ask, that's what this site is all about..or PM me or email me anytime.

Yep, the 3M adhesive spray is the way to go. It might have been Skeeter and if not I think it was Coley that turned me on to this process. I am really glad to see that someone is using the search feature. Long ago before this site grew to the size it is now, there was good and I mean good information posted.

If you use the 3M make sure you spray on the material and let it sit for a bit and then place it on the lure. After you paint, make sure you remove the netting ASAP. This will keep the paint from drying to the netting and pulling off the lure when you take the netting off.

Tally

A minnow net from wallyworld makes good scale material.

I think the cost is about 78 cents. And yes, I use 3M spray

adhesive to hold my netting in place. Also, when spraying

the scales, light and fast is the way to go. The clearcoat will

really bring them out.

Coley

It's not gluing really, technically you could say that it was but it isn't. 3M super 77 spray is a spray on adhesive artist use to stick a template of some sort (usually tracing paper) to some other medium that is actually going to take the design...like cut and roll signs. It just make the surface tacky enough to stay put. For doing it on material for scale effect as soon as the stuff comes out stop spraying....real quick little burst and ya got to let it dry or it will leave some stuff on the bait...a pain to get off(hehe...guess how I know that). it works great no slippage and gives a real clean pattern you can stretch the material and vary the size of the scale effect with a little also. You can buy the stuff at wal-mart or any art supply store, and you don't have to re-apply to the material either. Try it guys...it definitely beats trying to clip that stuff and saves a lot of time. It's also a lot easier to take the scale effect material off cleanly after spraying as not to mess up the paint job.

I have not tried the spray adhesive.I learned this from a tip Hughesy posted here.Attach casting sinkers to the netting.1/2 oz and 6-8 pieces works for 3 inch bait.You will drape the netting over the bait and the sinkers will pull the netting to the bait's top and sides.If netting hangs a little below bottom of bait,then you can "sit" sinkers on bench when done and slip bait out from under netting. Works great and is fast.

One trick I learned from a smart source here is to twist to netting under the belly to draw it tight to the lure. Works like a champ and only requires one clip to hold in place. I will also say that some brands of metallic paint require overnight drying before applying the netting. This is to prevent the paint from lifting off.

The best netting I have found is called Cranston Netting and can be purchased at Wal-Mart or any fabric store. It has good stretch properties and is softer than the others I have tried.