5 fish on

does a snap affect how a crankbait tunes?

I am just finishing up a new batch of lures and plan to tune them in tomorrow. In the past I just retie to each lures split ring but doing multiple bait this wastesline and is time consuming . I want to try using a snap this time but I don't know if whis will affect how it tunes . I seldon use a snap when fishing but when I do I have noticed some lures don't track as well with them . Does any one else use snaps to tune ?

I don't ever use snaps at all. I would think if you want to tune it accurately you would rig it however you would when you actually fish with it. Wiggle warts started coming with snaps at some point...that is how I've acquired them and tried using the snaps with those and rogues. I had difficulty getting lures tuned period. It would run to the right. I would tune it and it would run straight ...then next cast it may be running left. Personally(IMO),anything other than tying directly to the spit ring or the bait it's self is going to give you ambiguous results.

If you tie directly to the bait, you had better tie some type of a looped knot. I don't know the actual knot name, but you cant cinch down on the knot when tying directly to the bait. It'll make it run crazy. I use a snap when tuning and then tie to the split ring when fishing. There has to be some play between the line and the bait for it to run right.

A friend for whom I make crankbaits only uses crosslock snaps and does just fine. I tune my other baits with split rings installed because I and my other recipients fish them that way. It usually won't make a difference - but sometimes it does. Right now I have a box of 40 cranks to tune. Tuning them will hopefully train me to tie knots faster :D Cranks that have a narrow tuning range and run close to "the ragged edge" of control need to be tuned with exactly the hardware they will be fished with. Other cranks are a lot more forgiving so it's a case-by-case thing.

Tune the baits the way you will be fishing them. If you use snaps then tune them that way. If you tie to a split ring then tie to a split ring. But if you are just going to use a snap just because you don't want to tie a knot then you are wrong.

I seldon use a snap when fishing but when I do I have noticed some lures don't track as well with them .

I think you have answered your own question. :wink:

Skeeter

Not sure a snap would affect the way a bait tunes, but I do believe it increase the action somewhat. I've also read the same in the InFisherman for what its worth.

I've also had occasion to have a crankbait that just would not tune for one reason or another; after adding a split ring to the line tie...presto, the bait settled down and tuned nicely. Worth a try if you have a troublesome bait...

Just for what its worth, I never use snaps for tuning or fishing!Some folks like to use them because its a little quicker than re-tying but I like to tie to the split ring on any crank.Everyone has their own preferance but I think you catch more fish not using snaps but tying to the ring and it does have an effect on the action of the lure for sure.I would say take a little extra time tying and dont get use to those snaps.

Many baits through the years did not come with a split ring in the eyelet. Now, almost all of them do, at least the ones I have purchased. All of the baits I make have a split ring in the eyelet and I do use a snap or swivel to attach the lure to my line. I feel I have seen more action from baits with a split ring, snap or no snap.

My only suggestion is this, if you use a snap, make sure you are attaching it to a split ring. If any action is lost due to the snap, it is minimized with the split ring.

Spinner.