Sign in to follow this  
5 fish on

Is my crankbait going hunting or postal ?

6 posts in this topic

5 fish on    0

I can't say that I have ever seen a store bought crank hunt and none of my homemade ones have hunted yet . I just tuned some new baits and I think I have done it . While they don't dive as deep as I would like to they run around like a chicken with its head cut off . The only problem is that they do occasionally roll over . Do other hunting baits roll or is that a bad thing . When my baits roll they stay under the water and continue a wild ride back to the dock . It feels like three different baits in one . At any one point in the cast it feels like the vibration changes but I casted into open water . I only tested them from a dock and never made bottom contact to know exactly how deep they run but I am thinking around two feet when I was expecting three to four feet . Does the hunting rob overall diving depth ? Do deeper divers hunt ? If so how deep do the deepest hunters go ?

redg8r    56

Heres a graphic of how a crankbait hunts, in my opinion.

Some might agree that cranks can hunt only left or only right, but in my opinion, thats simply a bait out of tune, it must hunt left "and" right & return on track.

hope it helps,

good luck.

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

crankhunt_156.gif

1629_thumb.attach

5 fish on    0

All the baits that I have ever had roll on me make a wide roll and come to the surface . The baits I have now seem to stay at the same running depth and then continue like the picture above . I think these are the going to be a great bait when the lake I plan to use them in gets the right set of conditions going on . I will let you know haw it goes . I think these baits might fall under a new catagorey "acrobat " . I have seen shad spiral when they are on their deathbed so I think this should be a good thing . On a side note I am some what new to crank making so please fill me in on how not to have a bait roll . I have made 20 or so before and have not had this problem before . If this turns out to be a good thing I would like to know how to repeat it .