Toddo1513

Lohr's Lures Foam?

I have never seen a Lohrs bait made from foam. 8O How do you know it was foam? I am not doubting you, I am just curious. I know one of the people that he bought the business from. I do know that the previous baits were made of wood and cut from routers. Sometimes the bodies got pretty sloppy. It would not suprise me to see him go to foam. He could do alot more volume that way.

Skeeter

A friend of mine was trying to refinish an LL-20 and accidentally sanded thru the tail (with ease), then just cut it in two. It was plain to see that it was a foam bait. We checked a Big Jerry he had and it also was foam. The packaging looks the same as the wood baits, but the lip on the Jerry looked like it was hand made (not the usual lohr's printed lip)

Interesting, I was in Lexington today and was talking about Jerry's baits with a friend. We were looking at them and it the bigger crankbaits were Banak and the smaller ones were Balsa. I have several that are banak but havent seen foam yet. I havent bought any in a long time so its very possible that he has gone to foam.

actually, I know a good friend of Jerry's and just talked to him about a number of things he does.

He is not doing any foam molds. He is using some foam-type material and is cutting it with a router just like the wood baits.

I know that he has been making these baits for about three years because I talked to Jerry about it at the Raleigh winter fishing show three Decembers ago, and bought one from him. He said then he was doing it to have something different, and at that time was pushing them.

He has also begun cutting Lexan with a press, rather than having someone make him some injection molded lips. I haven't seen any of the baits with the lexan lips, but he has actually sent some of the lips my way.

Jerry has made foam baits from the very beginning. He made a limited amount since he had difficulty getting the weight and density right. A couple of years ago he made several hundred Poes 300 & 400 copies that were perfect. They threw good and ran great. He has since refined his process and is making more baits out of foam. He has changed his bill material since he sold his bill molds to Ed Chambers. He still makes wood baits out of banak.