clemmy

Calhoun Bubble Issue--Possible Idea?

Ok-

First of all I've been working on formulas and designs, so I've yet to pour a single worm, and do not have Calhouns, MF, Lurecraft, etc plastisol, so I'm at least unbiased...

In reading the complaints about bubbles, I remember a while back a post about a change in 5 gallon packaging...

http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5594&highlight=opening+gallon

People never used to have this complaint, now do, but only in 5-gallon size...Del said due to breakage they had to change packaging????

Maybe not just a coincidence?

If the new packaging is the problem (as I said I can't confirm as I have none), perhaps Del could just require insurance with the old 5-gallon containers and everyone would be happy?

No offense to anyone please, and I don't want to add to any discord/controversy, but I had an Idea that I hadn't seen mentioned..

Clemmy

Well, I think you hit it. When I use salt in my baits, I got bubbles and foam. When I didn't. no bubbles or foam. I keep my salt in a baggy, then in a tupperware sealed container. When I was a dinner and using the salt shaker, I noticed the salt sticking together around the lid and had to bang it to lossen it. HMMMM The wheels started turning. I wondered if the salt I used for plastics got moisture in it?? WELL, sure enough, when I got a new box of salt and ground it into flour, the next batch of calhouns I used was foam and bubble free. SAME batch as I used before with lots of bubbles and foam. The foam and bubbles did not really bother me since I could stir them out.... NO BIG DEAL to me. I believe that salt was "MY" culprit with the foam and bubbles. It might not be the same for everyone. After talking to DELW about the "BUBBLES" issue, he said he was looking into it. It was a "HIGH PRIORITY" to him since he sells Calhouns. If you want to know what he is doing about it, CALL HIM. I am sure he will ease your minds that Calhouns is checking and testing for any problems in their product.

NOVA...that is what I do. I find that my salt collects moisture no matter how I store it. I even double wrapped it but moisture still creeps in.

OH YEAH.. I wanted to tell you how much I like your recipe for "NATURAL" I made some 6" stix and they came out FANTASTIC. I added 1 drop of metholate to it to give it a pinkish tint. IT DEFINATELY gets the job done. I am waiting for a new 6", 2 piece worm mold now and this color will definately work on those. "WITH NO SALT" :D

Have a good one...

All my frothing bubbles came with plastic that had NO salt added to it. I'm not as sure that Calhoun's is working on the problem as I have seen no update, potential findings, etc. posted to substantiate that.

Plastisol is a minute part of Calhoun's business and I would be surprised if the issue is ever publicly addressed.

Even a college student with a reasonable amount of knowledge and the right equipment could let you know what is causing the frothy bubbles...

Chemists with Phd's should be a able to crack it in hours NOT weeks or months!!!! Soooooorry Tim..This issue still sticks in my craw!!!!!

Jim