russ

got my brush

I also use a VL, most often with the medium tip. It's easy to get the tips/needles/cones mixed up and the brush won't work well if they are. Try to keep them separate. Createx is one of the best acrylics and it's designed for airbrushes. It's more than twice the price of generic hobby acrylics, however. Also, I just prefer the color on some cheaper paints rather than Createx. You can do fine with generics like Apple Barrel, etc if you thin them.

I just use tap water in a little spray bottle and squirt it into the paint in the airbrush cup before I attach it to the brush. Mix it in with one of those little mixing sticks that come with Devcon epoxy. The paint needs to be no thicker than milk. Using a hair dryer to set the just-sprayed paint before shooting the next color makes things go much faster. Always undercoat all baits with a highly pigmented flat white before you shoot colors. I clean my VL with just cool water. A round toothpick used GENTLY helps clean the inside of the cone and the spout of the color cup.

I don't mind paying for Createx. Their pearl white and blue are excellent. You can shoot Createx straight out of the bottle because it's formulated for airbrush use. But when visiting the local hobby shop or Walmart, I'm looking for specific shades and there's always a wider selection of other hobby acrylics like Apple Barrel, etc. I've never had any problem using them - just thin them so they shoot consistently. My most used? Apple Barrel Flat White for undercoating.