iceman

My First Air Brushed Lure Attempt.

My first attempt at air brushing was interesting to say the least. A lot of things to work out like keeping the nozzle from plugging and drying up during painting. I?ve been using auto touch up paint boy it dries fast. I figured I would go that way be for I sink a lot of money into better equipment. If I decided to stay with it and it?s looking that way. Is there any help some one can send this way on the right equipment I should be using. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Looking at some of pictures that are posted in the photo section I would say that you guys are pros. There are some nice lures in there. Thanks

my_first_air_brushed_lure_1_790.jpg

1633_thumb.attach

I must say that's a great looking lure but I think that most important thing about lure building is getting the fundamentals correct first then work on the paint scheme. by fundamental I mean lure shape, weight, size, placement of screw eyes, lip angle, the action of the lure, etc. Have you had a chance to test this lure in the water? If so, how did it perform?

BTW, some of the best looking lures around are painted with rattle can paints and paint brushes!

I haven?t had a chance to use it yet. It?s a Bomber Long A repainted. I?m practicing on these lures so I can learn all the different things about painting then I am hoping to work with some wood and some foam. I would like to make my own mold. But that?s the future. I have to work on painting now before winter starts here in Michigan during that time I?m going to work on a mold and all the other things. (No heat in the garage). Thanks for your response.

Iceman,

The bait looks great. I think you will find that the waterbased paints dry less quickly but can sometimes plug a nozzle just as bad. I started with an old Badger I bought on Ebay and painted a ton of stuff with it. I have since purchased an Iwata eclipse on the advice of another builder and love it. Double action brushes give you the ability to feather and fade colors for some of the great natual looking finishes. Get a good dryer and regulator on your air supply and have at it. I have had good success spraying createx paints but others do just as well with cheapo wally world stuff. Jaime is right though that some of the greatest looking stuff is rattle canned.

Take your time and have fun

Jerk