Question about hooks-bronze vs nickel

Why do some crankbaits have nickel plated hooks and

others have bronze??

I can see that nickel would add some flash to a bait and

maybe increase the profile.

Bronze would be less visible and maybe the bait itself would

be more of a target.

Or could it just be a preference??

Could someone that knows, please answer??

Coley

Coley,

Your assumptions are correct. It is just a preference. Nickel does add flash. All of Clunn's baits that I have seen have Nickel round bend trebbles on them. I like you, assume it is for the flash. I personally use Eagle Claw hooks. I have tried them all, and have spent all kinds of money trying different ones. My hookup ratio greatly improved with the Eagle Claws. I sharpen every hook by hand. Sharp hooks are the main thing. I use bronze most of the time because it is all that I can get locally. I have ordered nickel Eagle Claws and use them on some of my "show" baits. I can't say that I have done better with nickel baits over bronze.

Color Me Fishin,

All hooks will rust if put up wet. I have baits that are 3 yrs. old and have bronze hooks and there is not one bit of rust on any of them. Same with the nickel. When I am fishing and change baits, I just put the plug on the deck of the boat until it is dry before putting it in the box.

Skeeter

If you use them in the salt at all stick with nickel. Bronze may last OK in the fresh if the allow the hooks to dry before you put them away, but no matter how thorough you are about rinsing and drying they don't last long when they're used in the brine.

And here's a tip for new players: after you've sharpened your bronzed hooks, colour the bare metal in with an indelible laundry marker. Takes about 2 seconds and seals the metal to protect the point from rust.

Regards

Greg