Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HAWGJAWS

QUESTIONS ABOUT COUNTER WEIGHT

2 posts in this topic

Let me begin by saying, I am very, very new to this lure building thing and this website has been an absolute Godsend.

I have been making my own crankbaits and topwaters out of balsa from scratch for about a month now and I just tested some today.

I went over to Mom's swimming pool and was completely blown away by the way these lures ran.

I was expecting alot of tuning and weight experimentation, but nothing like this. I guess it will just be alot of trial and error.

Can anyone offer good advice on belly weighting and weight placement?

I did have a few of them, belly weighted, that did tune out o.k., but were still alittle squirrely. Guess they need alil more weight. I will post pictures in the gallery.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

HAWGJAWS

For me, ballast is a trial and error process but you eventually get to where your guestimates are better. When I'm uncertain, I hold off ballasting the bait until the crank is waterproof with hardware and bill installed, then hang lead solder on the belly hook until I get the float level and attitude I'm looking for. Drill a hole(s) and melt in the solder with a soldering iron, patch with wood filler.