BB

line tie problems

i glued some line and hook ties yesterday.but i checked them today and some are not tight.after 10 hours.the hole i drilled was the correct size so the treads hold it in.i used the 5 minute devcon by applying it to the tip of the treads about 1/4th".and screwing it in.how do you apply it or insert devcon into the hole.this is the second time it happened to.thanks 8O

There could be a couple factors causing the issue. With 1500 lb devcon, make sure it is completely mixed, mix it upwards of a minute or more. Also, make sure you apply it liberally, to the point you'll have excess that runs out of the hole once the screw eye is inserted. Be sure to rid the area of the excess epoxy. Another security blanket, if you have a vise that you can put the lure in and keep pressure on the eye to the body why it is drying, it only helps.

Devcon also makes a injectable 60 second epoxy that takes the guess work out of proper mixing...comes with a needle like attachment, hardens quickly and is very durable on woods, 1250 lbs I believe. Costs about twice what normal devcon costs.

Gorilla glue works as well, its a one step process and expands like crazy to an unbreakable strength. Dry time is longer though.

You say they are not tight...has the devcon hardened? Be very careful not to overdrill the hole for the hook hangers. If you are using a hard wood like maple you can drill them and put the hook hangers in and out several times during the balance process with no problems. If you are using a soft wood tho, like balsa, poplar, pine, you should drill a very small pilot hole and try not to take the hook hangers out once they have been installed. Also, devcon does hold and will seal the hole but you can still grab a screw eye with devcon on it and turn it loose if you try hard enough. Don't expect the screw eye to be "set in stone" with Devcon, it will move if you twist it hard enough but you won't pull it out. If you don't believe this, screw one into a scrap piece of wood and try to pull it out.

Jed V.