chas48

Making a mold

I've been having good success with the 2 part epoxy with a couple drops of rubbing alcohol. Don't thin it out too much. wait an hour before pouring.

Use an oil release agent (I use Fish Formula shad) some use Pam. I'll start using that when I buy the garlic Pam. That will help with anything sticking to the worm and give it a nice glossy coat.

Dave V

If you've tried to oil the raw plaster mold, I don't think you can make anything stick to it. You'll have to make another.

For plaster, Use one of the hard ones, I use Ultracal 30, some use Durhams, etc) let it cure cool, even damp for a day or so, bake it bone dry in the oven (250 for an hour or so), then coat it with 2 ton epoxy thinned with a little alcohol. It'll last until you drop it.

jm

I've never used the durhams plaster but have used bondex. Not real happy with the bondex seems coarser. I have used and like a plaster made by Botanical Science it is whiter and seems to produce better detail for me. I use to get it at Wal-mart but they don't carry it anymore. I've dropped molds on my basement floor more than once and haven't had a problem with them breaking. They also seem to hold up longer than the bondex molds. I've been thinning my Devcon with Aceatone I do a thin first coat and let that soak in then go back over it with a second and sometimes third coat, all are thinned a little but the first is the thinnest. I havent' needed a release agent since I've been coating my molds.