Muskiefool

Devcon 2 Ton

Devcon will definitely give you bubbles. And then again so will any epoxy. It is just something that you have to practice at. You can breathe on a batch and watch the bubbles come to the top. I am told it is the CO2 in your breath that causes this. However, it won't get them all. Blowdryers and such will get them comming to the top also, but not all of them. I have found that if you brush the area multiple times with the brush that alot of the bubbles will expell on their own. Do not mix the epoxy with wood. It contains air in the pores and it will cause you even more problems. I just use the stir that comes with the epoxy and just wipe it clean when I am done mixing. It will last you a very long time that way. As you work with Devcon you will learn how to minimize the bubbles that you get, but you will never get rid of them completely.

Skeeter

when i use devcon 30 mins... i usually stir it with a bent paperclip. i try to mix it evenly for 3 mins minimum, without lifting the clip as to minimize bubbling. once u lift it n mix n lift it again...it's bound to create bubbles. when picking up the epoxy with the brush, do it gently, picking it up from the edges. if u ram the brush and roughly scoop up the epoxy with it, the bristles of the brush tend to create the bubbles. hope this helps!

Bubbles are going to happen in any type of epoxy. Anytime that you stir anything you are going to be injecting air into the mixture. I never thought of it but putting the brush into the mixture could cause the problem also. If Devcon cured slower then you could have the chance of giving the mixture more time to expel the bubbles. But usually with the temp at around 75 deg. you will have about 15 min. to work with the mixture before it sets enough to where you cannot not work with it smoothly.

Skeeter

I normally start at the head and work toward the tail with the devcon. Most of the air bubbles you can see and I just keep working them toward the tail until they appear to be gone. Also try using a brush with "firm" bristles. I also probably apply more devcon to the lure when I first start so I have an adequate amount to work onto the lure and work the bubbles out. I mix my devcon on foil and and after stirring I will smooth it out on the foil a bit to let the air escape. Not 100% full proof but it works for me and thats all that counts.....by the way I still get air bubbles now and then and I know the frustration!!

As professor Sketer said: It is something you just have to practice at!

Tally

I agree that alot of it is a how you mix it issue. If you go from side to side as firetiger mentioned, that eliminates the majority of air pockets that gets created when you just randomly stir it. I've used several stirrers over the yrs and I've settled on bamboo. It allows me to stir more, in less time, and it seems to mix more completely with less air pockets. Repeated brush strokes like was previously mentioned will eliminate air pockets as well. If you hold your lure vertical under a bright halogen after or during clearcoating, you 'll be able to see any imperfections and can smooth them out prior to rotating and drying the lure.

Good luck

I have never been too concerned about air bubbles while mixing. I have been using a small butane torch and quickly "fanning" over the bait after brushing on the epoxy.The Co2 is what gets most of the air bubbles out especially with etex and to a lesser degree devcon. I think the slight heating is what gets most air bubbles out of devcon. It thins the mix allowing air bubbles to escape the surface better. I think you get a better finish also, the thinning by adding heat allows it to level out better and will look smoother. Be sure to not overheat, it will cause running issues! Just quickly fan over with the torch, keeping an inch or two away from bait. I could be full of crap, but I dont have problems with bubbles.

Tom

Hey Muskiefool,

I just started thinning my 2ton with denatured alcohol. I doesn't extend cure time but does make it easier to brush on. With epoxy slightly thinned it allows more bubbles to rise to the surface before it sets up.

For a 2.5" lure I use 1-2 drops. Combined with the torch it's the best method I've found thus far. You can get denatured alcohol from home depot for $10 a gallon.

Tight Lines,

Shawn

I have never had problems with bubbles.I use a propane torch as described in above posts.I mix my epoxy( Devcon 2-Ton) rapidly and produce many bubbles.I brush it on doing nothing special-not worrying about bubbles.I then pass and rotate bait over torch to remove bubbles.After this I inspect bait to make sure that bubbles that I "flamed out" did not leave any voids in coating.Just a dab will fix voids if any.Do not let clear coat to smoke.Pass bait 4-6 inches above a 1 inch flame.I do not thin Devcon 2 Ton.I use medical dose cups-you can buy at a pharmacy very cheap,just ask for a hundred or so..I mention this as epoxies will react with some types of plastic.