muskie magnet

base coats

I can't say with a voice of experience if lacquer will stick better to latex than oil base. However, if lacquer will melt the substrate you will achieve better adhesion as opposed to the paint just sticking on the surface. I would be willing to hazzard a guess and say that lacquer wil stick better to oil base than latex. I have painted plenty of lacquer in my day and never recall using a latex primer, they did at one time make a waterborne sealer to stop solvent from attacking the old finish, not latex though.

Lacquer will stick to water based latex paint just fine. I don't like oil based paints just for the simple fact that it is a bitch to clean off of your equipment. The real problem is that water based latex is slow for doing base coats. Normally you will need 2 or 3 coats per bait. You can shoot the first coat thin and just let it dry for about 20 min. Then shoot the second coat and let dry for 2 hrs. Finally shoot the last coat and let the entire bait dry for 24 hrs. There is a reason for these dry times. Or you can really get nuts and just dip the lure into full strength white latex and then spin the lure on a drying wheel for about 4 hrs. and then hang it to dry for a full 24 hrs. When done right, the lure has a good thick coat on it and turns out really smoothe. Then shoot your lacquer.

Skeeter

I like Automotive primer in a spray can for a base coat. Sprays easy, dries fast, and adheres good. I don't like latex base coat because it takes forever to dry and it is thick and spongy feeling after drying. For you guys who want to use a latex primer and have it dry faster, I think you can thin with alcohol.

I dip mine in thinned latex Kilz, shake off excess and proceed much as Skeeter said for spraying. I keep enough lures in process that the long dry time is reall not a factor for me. (My drying wheel right now has lures in 5 different stages of competion, with other lures waiting for paint, etc.) I've cleared some topwaters with clear laquer over Createx and it does just fine.

Dean