Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tom S

Best wood glue ?

9 posts in this topic

I am making some 2 halved through wire baits. I am cutting a wire channel on the inside of the halves and laying a pre formed wire in the channel then glueing the halves together. I am using white cedar. What would be the best glue to join the halves together : devcon 2 ton or gorilla wood glue ? Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I used to use Gorilla glue for all my two piece bodies, but lately I have been using Titebond 3 wood glue.

It is 100% waterproof and the nice thing about it is that it cleans up easily (water clean up unti it's dry, just like regular wood glue)

The only time I'd use epoxy to join the halves is if there was a gap to be filled.

Hope this helps,

da Count

Ive been using West Systems. Its a two part epoxy used in the boat building business. Dries really hard and u can sand your seam really nice as well. So far Ive had good results using this but its fairly expensive.

Count,

Have you had problems with Gorilla glue? That is what I have, but if it does not work well I wont use it. I hate having to go buy something every time I try something new, I guess I'm cheap.Thanks for the help.

Tom

Tom,

I've had no problems with Gorilla glue. The only reason I switched is that the Titebond 3 is less messy and somewhat cheaper (about 10 buck a quart at Menards)

Also, if you are using epoxy, be sure and read the packaging. Most quick setting epoxies are not waterproof. The slower setting stuff like Decon 2 ton is.

Waterproof means that water won't penetrate it.....

Water Resistant means it will let water through, it just doesn't want to :D

da Count :twisted: (I love the fangs in this emoticon!)