Munkin

Virgin thinner plastidip / weighting q's

I have lurked for some time until I decided to take the plunge but now I have some questions? First after I dip the sanded bodies into the virgin thinner brew (thanks for the tutorial) they are rough, can I sand them or will it ruin the finish? Second, I am using egg sinkers as belly weights and my question is after I epoxy them in how do I add or subtract weight? I was lucky on some of the baits but I have a slow sinker that I would like to fix. This site is great and I have spent probably 40+ hours reading the posts and tutorials.

Thanks,

Allen

First after I dip the sanded bodies into the virgin thinner brew (thanks for the tutorial) they are rough, can I sand them or will it ruin the finish?

I don't know what you mean by rough? I will give you 2 thoughts....1)after sanding the bait make sure you wipe it down with"cheap" thinner or something to remove all the sand dust. 2) If the bait is rough just from dipping into the "brew", I would say the solution is too thick, try thinning it down.

I am using egg sinkers as belly weights and my question is after I epoxy them in how do I add or subtract weight? I was lucky on some of the baits but I have a slow sinker that I would like to fix.

If you want to reproduce a lure the same way, I suggest you investing in a good scale first. Weigh everything including those egg sinkers because they all don't wiegh the same. I was fortunate to have Skeeter guide me through some of this and it takes time. "LUCK"****** no such thing if you do your homework. We all have made lures that sink and it takes time adjusting the wieght until we get it right. If you put in the time and learn what is really making that bait tic, you will become a better crank bait maker and fisherman.

Tally

Each builder has their own process but this is what I do:

1. Shape the bait and sand until smooth....doesn't have to be "freaky smooth", just smooth;

2. Drill the holes for the lead.....hold the lead in a pair of pliers and run a propane torch over it, let the lead drip into the pre-drilled hole;

3. Drop the bait in a bucket to check drop/water position, if necessary use a hand drill to remove some of the lead;

4. Let dry for at least 24 hours, fill in holes with wood filler;

5. Dip in Bullseye Shellac, dry 24 hours

6. Dip in white primer, dry 24 hours

7. Paint.

8. Grin like a jack-rabbit at the lure you have created! :D

Jed V.