Dink Mendez

Flouralcarbon-ADVANTAGES & DISADVANTAGES

Good Evening,

I'm wanting to try something new. I love using AN40 silver thread for cranking. However; I've been wanting to use Fluorocarbon for cranking. Does anyone have any views on this line. Is there any advantages or disadvantages. Knot strength and stretch. I'm interested if fluorocarbon would exceed the lb test it is rated for. Any info would be great and what brand is better field tested against others.

Thanks Dink

My advice would be to use your normal line, and just blood knot a small leader to the line, of about 3-4 feet. Flourocarbon does typically test higher than mono, is more abrasion resistant, but is also more expensive. I personally prefer seaguar flouro, the vanish stuff is total junk.

Dink, went to a BassmasterU earlier this year, and this was one of the major topics.

Most of the pros agreed that would rarely ever use flourocarbon for cranking or for spinnerbaits. The reason being is that it has no stretch. Alot of times we tend to set the hook to quick while crankin' or spinnin' and end up pulling the bait away from the fish... Mono gives that extra stretch in the line so you don't feel the fish as quick as you would with flouro or braid, and therefore you set the hook later. This came directly from KVD and Jimmy Houston.

I don't have any personal experience with flouro though. Hope this helps.

You really don't need Flourocarbon for cranking. It works good in clear water situations and has little stretch. I use Seaguar as well and it works fine. I use braid for worms/jigs/senkos and add a Flourocarbon leader by using a double uni knot. Flouro sinks faster than mono, too.

I use pline flouroclear for almost all applications . For cranks it is great because of the low stretch.Per bullet04 statement you will break fish off if you use to stiff of a cranking rod becuase of the lack of stretch. I use 10 lb floroclear on a lamiglass cranking rod and have not broke a fish off.I also us 15 lb for spinnerbaits and other all purpose applications and have nothing but possitive things to say.

The right tool for the right job is the answer however, what's right for you may not be right for everyone else. I use both depending upon the situation. The flouro lines do have some stetch as Stratos1 put it. Don't believe me? Spool up a reel and tie it off in your back yard and go for a pull. I re-stretch my backing line all the time and use Seagar also and have had trouble with Vanish although it could have just been a bad spool or two. I called it vanish because when I hooked a bass with it...... it vanished. LOL

I don't like to use fluorocarbon for crankbaits or spinnerbaits. I like to use Berkley XT for them instead. It has better abrasion resistance, has better stretch which helps with hook sets and is cheaper. I do not base this decision on price, either. Berkley XT is just a better choice in my opinion for these applications. I may try P-Line CXX next as i have heard greatthings about this line for these applications as well.

For all of my worming applications I use fluorocarbon. P-Line 100% fluorocarbon is OK and is readily available. I like Sugoi much better, though.

I just got some new Daiwa Steez fluorocarbon for X-Mas that I can't wait to try. Has anybody tried this yet? I hear that is has not been released yet.

I do not like Berkley vanish at all.

Floros,all are in my opinion alot better for cranking because they have a tendency to sink and get a little more depth in your cranking application.. definatly more abrasion resistant,,and i defiantly change my line alot less than with mono,, Seaugar is the inventor of floro line so i tend to stay with them and have had nothing but excellent results with the new invis-x line,, and you,ll spend more for floro but will see the positive aspect of the higher cost

Todd

I agree with the others. Seaguar is definitely the one to use. I have experimented with all the others with poor results. For casting I would stick with your original line. Flouro tends to be very stiff. Works well for droppshotting as a leader. Abrasion resistance is outstanding. I fish where there are alot of zebra mussels and they will tear up almost anything, including superlines, but seaguar flouro will hold up very well.

I have been wondering about this also. I use Florocarbon leaders when fishing for snapper and such, but was considering spooling up with floro all the way. Thought maybe the less stretch the better when fishing depts of 60 to 100 feet. You can really get a headache trying to figure all this out!

I use pline flouroclear for almost all applications . For cranks it is great because of the low stretch.Per bullet04 statement you will break fish off if you use to stiff of a cranking rod becuase of the lack of stretch. I use 10 lb floroclear on a lamiglass cranking rod and have not broke a fish off.I also us 15 lb for spinnerbaits and other all purpose applications and have nothing but possitive things to say.

I thought floroclear was coated mono and not pure florocarbon.I haven't tried the floroclear,also i now use a swivel above my worms and jigs and has also virtually eliminated my break offs.Also changed to seaguar 15 lb.