fishin4info

Thickening createx paint?

Is there a way to thicken createx paint? I am trying to paint aquamarine blue through a stencil and it is to thin straight out of the bottle. It starts to run as soon as I remove the stencil. I have tried applying light coats but that isn't working for me either. With several light coats, allowing each coat to flash, when I remove the stencil it pulls some of the paint off with it. I have tried painting this bait three times and have had to peel the paint off each time.

Are you painting a white primered surface? I use createx and have never wanted any of it to be any thicker. Are you cutting your stencils out of tape? I use stencils cut from plastic and basically hold them in place with a disposable glove. To make any of my Createx run I would have to be spraying too much. Could you possibly be spraying a transparent color, but expecting opaque-type color? I'm fishing, but of course that is what this site is all about :wink:

Dean

I am painting an Aquamarine Blue which is not transperent. On this particular bait I am painting it over a flourescent yellow. I have made the stencils out of lexan for this bait. I am going to try and paint through the stencil with white and then paint a light coat of blue over the white, hopefully that will help. This shade of blue just seems really thin, it is like spraying water.

Jack the pressure up between 20 and 24 psi. Since you are using a double action gun and hopefully a Paasche VL, here is what you do. Take the cover off of the back of the gun. Loosen the nut that holds the needle in place and push the needle all of the way forward. Next, when you spray, push down on the trigger and get your air going. Then pull back slowly untill you get the paint going. This is what is known as a "dry shoot". It should spray a real thin coat and dry fairly quickly. I think that you are laying down too much paint and it is blowing on you. Practice on a piece of cardboard first. It will only take a second to see if you have it right. Also, your stencil has to be laying flush against the bait. If is does not then paint will blow under the edges of the stencil. Try a document protector or brown masking tape for your stencil.

Skeeter

I agree w/ DEAN ! Createx is thick from the getgo. I spen more time thinning it . Let it exposed with the lid open and it will get stiff alright but you'll need a screen for the lumps. Anytime you add or subtract from the original paint make-up > you weaken it !. (the original properties of the paint).