finlander

evac fan in booth

I spray water-base paint in the house into a most cobbled together "booth" made from a cardboard box that sits on a table. I use a tankless 1/8 hp diaphram compressor which sprays that starts at about 40 and sprays constant at a little over 20 which my wife cannot hear in the next room. I opened the box on both ends, stuck some air filter material in the middle, and put a small fan behind that, which I don't usually need to turn on unless I'm doing a bunch of base coating or similar. I use a Badger 200, which is an internal mix single-action. I have a trash can at my knee where I rinse my brush between colors using windex and squeeze bottles of filtered water. All very primitive really, but it works for me. I like that inside the house the humidity is always lower than outside, the temperature in constant and dust isn't a problem. I keep all my sawdust in my little outside shop. I do all of my epoxy work inside, also for the same reasons. Like I said, this arrangement is what works for me.

Dean

I have failed to ask if anyone pulls the vapors OUTSIDE their home when airbrushing?? Putting my nose to an opened Createx is not pleasant, but it does dry quickly. I have a respirator. I'd rather build a booth near an outside wall, so I can put the fumes outdoors. I want to paint this winter. This is why I bought the airbrush. Just how bad are these acrylics?? Thanks.

Thanks for the help. I have two parrots up on the 2nd floor. I use Etex in the basement but I close the door to the room I use. Not sure where I will paint at. I did aquire a used range hood. I planned on using it near a microwave when I infrequently melt plastic for soft baits. Thanks again.