NSpannTx

Round vs. flatsided cranks.....

Flat cranks generally have a tighter faster wiggle and thump harder than round cranks. Round cranks have a softer wider action and all other things held equal, are more bouyant because they displace more water. A rule of thumb that I don't necessarily believe is use flat cranks in cold water, round cranks in hot. Personally, I prefer flat sided crankbaits year round - but as always, you have to let the fish tell you what they want on a given day.

I took care of that crap. POOF!!

I have experimented with both types of body styles. Personally I prefer the flat style of bait. You can get any action that you want with a flat bait. I have fished them for 5 yrs. and have had great results. Now if only we could convince the public. For some reason they treat flat baits like they have the plague. But I intend on changing that. Too many folks got use to the Bagley and Poes style of plugs. You would just be amazed at the action that you can get out of a flat bait.

Skeeter

I don't make crankbaits but I make some near surface swimming darters that have some similar characteristics. I had convinced myself that the only reason flat baits existed was the maker was just too lazy or too cheap to make round sided baits. Well I finally wised up and started experimenting. I found that while the body shape has an impact on the baits movement it is far less than I expected. I also found that through weighting, line tie placement and shaping of the diving plane (I don't use plastic lips like crankbaits do) I could get the bait to move as I wish regardless of the shape of the sides.

I can't really comment how this translates to cranks, but I think flat vs. round sides is not as big a factor as most believe.