RangerRob

rookie questions

I need some help here gang. I've been assembling for quite some time, but now I'm wanting to do the molding and painting myself. My questions center around the airbrush. 99% of my painting will be jig, sb, and buzzbait heads. Nothing fancy. How elaborate of a gun do I really need for this? I have the opportunity to get a Paasche VLST Pro w/ compressor. Is this suitable for what I'm going to do, or is it overkill? I see the Badger 250 and 350 and they seem like all I would really need, but I don't want to spend the $$ and then regret not getting the better gun set-up. Here are some other questions I have:

* does everyone pretty much use vinyl for painting lead?

* will I have to thin the vinyl before spraying?

* are the 250 and 350 suitable with Propel or do I HAVE to have a compressor?

There's more, but it won't hit me until I start getting responses. Thanks in advance to everyone for their insight.

RR,

Seems like you'll be doing this for some time so I say go for a good setup. Buy the paasche and a compressor. The propellants are a big waste of money even if you're doing small projects. Believe me you'll be glad you did.

Do a search in TU under airbrushes and such and you'll find some interesting reading and it'll give you a better perspective of what's what! hope this helps.

Thanks greatly for the feedback. I actually dug around a little more yesterday and got some ideas - I also noticed the wire bait forum just after I bothered you crankers!

As for powder paint - well, I guess I just don't fully understand it yet. It seems easier to paint around wires, hooks, and fiber weed guards than trying to heat this stuff up and roll it around in powder, getting it all over the stuff I don't want it on. But, as a rookie, maybe I can be convinced differently.

So, the Paasche and compressor are probably the way to go, but how is that particular model? I see a lot of posts on Paasche air brushes, but I'm yet to see one on that particular model. Of course I haven't dug long enough either. Thanks again fellas.