BassAssault

Bondo mold question.

In the past I have used Durhams Water Putty that you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. It seems to hold up OK. But I will say that if you have any sharp details like 3d eye holes it's hard for it to hold up. Also you will have some cleanup afterwords. Sometimes it takes me a couple of tries to get the mold right. I'm like you there has to be something better for details and less clean up.

T Mike

I have been using Bondo for the past 6 months and really like it. On average, I would say I get between 30 and 50 pours per mold. The thing that destroys my molds are using pliers to take out each casting. Sometimes I put too much preassure on a certain area of the mold and a piece chips off. If you are very carefull, you may be able to extend the life. The best part of it is you go from no mold to pouring in like 15 min.

I have found that if I mix some regular Bondo body plastic with some Bondo fiberglass resin I get better results. It makes is just a little more soupy than regular body plastic, but doesn't shrink as bad as plain resin. It also makes it easier to replicate detail without air bubbles. It seems like it should last a little longer also

Markell

Have you tried the high temp RTV yet? I still can't find time ? but one of these days?????

Reply from a lurker. I use Bondo for alot of my jigs as it is easy to use and is inexpensive. I made jig molds from Dow Corning 3120 RTV' date=' and got over 1000 pours of a 1 oz jig head, and the mold was still in good shape. The Rtv will pick up every detail and is flexible enough to allow for some undercutting (Mistakes). You'll need a digital scale to get the mixing just right (Staples has them for about $30) Depending on the size of the casting, you can get quite a few molds from a pound. Here's alink on making a DIY Bondo mold.

[url']http://www.tackleunderground.com/board/kb.php?mode=article&k=16[/url]

JigModels.jpg

LedHed, I attempted one mold with the RTV. Results were not good. LOL. Once I have a little free time, I will try for round 2. I have a package headed your way in the next week or so. I am throwing in a few surprises.

Overkill, Tell me more about the fiberglass resin. I like the part about being "more Soupy". Have you made a mold only using the fiberglass resin?

Husky, Your tutorial is the reason I tried the bondo. Thank you for putting it together.