Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gbarrfish1

Help With Lure Paint

5 posts in this topic

I have made many lures and have painted them with an airbrush. They come out looking good but not great. I have been using thinned out vinyl jig paint in my airbrush but it clogs up a lot and makes a big mess. Also what brand of product should I be sealing the lure up with. I just want the process to go smoother than it is and have had a hard time getting help.

Thanks

I use a water base paint. There are several brands on the market.

Createx Auto-Air is very good and comes ready to spray straight

from the bottle.

I also use craft paint from Walmart, it requires thinning with water.

When you say "sealing your lure up with" do you mean a final coat

on the outside or a seal coat on the bare wood??

If its a finish coat you may use Devcon 2T epoxy. If its a seal

coat on the wood, what kind of wood is it??

Like Coley and alot of other guys, I use water based acrylic latex - sometimes Createx (a bit costlier) but more often whatever brand/shades strike my fancy at the local hobby shop or Walmart. It airbrushes fine if you thin it with water or Windex and cleanup is a snap. One thing with latex - prime the wood to make it waterproof before you airbrush or the water in the latex will raise the grain. I most often use Devcon 2T epoxy but others use urethane varnish, etc. Epoxy is nice for balsa since it makes it alot tougher. Anything will do for basswood but I use epoxy there too becuase I wear a belt AND suspenders. I think alot of the problems you have been experiencing will go away with latex and it does a nice job. Although it is waterproof when dry, you want to go over it with a clearcoat to make the finish durable and shiny. Most of us brush on a 2 part epoxy for this purpose. I usually use Devcon Two Ton (comes in a 2 part syringe at Walmart) , others use Etex, etc.