BC_CARVER

sealing white pine & priming

It is imperative to seal all wood before paint. I use a product called Val-Oil and I cut it 70-30 with terpentine, not mineral spirits. I let it soak for 24 hours. Wipe off excess and hang to dry for a day or two. I light sand after a few days and if dust comes off plug it is dry enough. For primer I use 2 coats of Zinser cover stain spray paint. I am sure there are many methods for this but this is a method I learned from a long time salt water plug builder I know and has worked for me. Paul

Woodie,

You have mentioned before using the sanding sealer and I'm not familiar with that product, sounds interesting tho.

Also, what do you like about the New Lustre over Etex? Do you think it's tougher?

BC Carver,

I use Bullseye Shellac to seal the baits, dip the baits in for about 30 seconds and hang to dry. They will be dry to the touch in about an hour but I typically wait 24 hours just in case.

Jed V.

the lacquer sanding sealer we use dries in 1 hour tops. we buy factory direct. it will stop any bubbles from rising when top coating. as for the new lustre i find it has an exellent sheen and is easier to work with. i am sure its very close to the property of e tex and is my prsonal preference. when we seal though we immerse the bait into the sealer to make sure its absorbed into the wood. also lip slots and screw wholes are all predrilled. and yes jed im jealous cause you are probably catching all of them chrome fish right now. mine are slimey and stinky waaa

george