William

Hook Rust

Can anyone help with this little problem. I have started building lures and am using pretty standard components, mostly from Janns. Building wooden baits, painting with Createx and top coating with Etex. Installing Mustad bronze hooks well after everything has dried and they are rusting badly, (fresh water, inland lakes).

Has anyone run into this problem? Is it some type of reaction with the Etex or with the SS hook hanger I'm using?

Help!!!

Thanks -

Rust is a combo of a water, oxygen, and a metal getting together. Bronze is an alloy of tin and cooper, both rust.

Stainless steel hardware will not rust and Etex doesnt have the necessary properties to rust.

How and where are the lures stored? Are the hooks new or used? Are the lure bodies stained as well?

Reading between the lines of your post, no, none of the components of your crankbait are contributing to hooks rusting. I've never had a similar problem with baits built exactly the same, so I suspect it's how they are stored. I would note that I've had the least rust problems with Gamakatsu hooks and they come sticky sharp right out of the box, unlike some others I've tried. Yep, they're more expensive...but well worth it, IMO.

Guys - Thanks for the input. All of the hooks were new and there is no staining on the bodies. Storage is no different (Plano 3700s) that my other (commercial) lures (which do not exhibit the rust problem). My next stop is try the Gamakatsu solution, if I can find all of the sizes I need in quantity and various strengths (2X & 3X strong).

I will post any differences that I find. - Thanks again!