Haebar

Will Acrylics work if given an overcoat?

Anybody ever use acrylic paints on jigheads? They are water-based but I was thinking if you gave them a hard overcoat like Dev-con they might work. What do you think? Only reason I'm asking is that I have a bunch of acrylic paints already and they dry pretty hard.

Thanks

One thing I did to make mine look better was switch to a self-etching primer, I highly recommend this before painting any lead. Also either use a drying wheel or stick them in something that will allow the jig head to sit up and the excess Devcon to run down the hook shank and not with the jig's head down so the topcoat runs and makes a fat bubble on the end of the jig head itself. I agree that powder paint and bass jigs are like popcorn and butter, when they come out right they really come out right... but I seem to be able to do 2 or 3 times as many jigs with plain acrylic and topcoating (hands on time), I have been using that powder paint for years and it still gives me fits, some colors turn out great everytime, some... like white... I don't think I will ever master and even on a good batch I seem to be sitting for an hour or so with the heat gun smoothing and touching up.

Forgot to mention that I have a buddy of mine that runs an autobody shop, if you can try some PPG or BASF autopaint on them, if you follow with automotive clear it is next to impossible to get that stuff off, tons of colors too. He paints mine for free baits, doesn't get better than free, JIM