iceman

Wood lure question

I'm not a balsa fan while making solid wood lures. You can find the posts on wood this site has as we spoke out about many times. You must know what you want from a lure not just the ease of using balsa. I understand there is diffrent grades and that one grade of balsa is outstanding in strenth but I haven't and will not try it. Stay simple > flat lures > I use white pine , round lures I buy dowel rod in white pine , maple and red oak. the harder the wood > the less it floats above the surface line and the heavyer it gets. Its wood densities and you should read into it. Most balsa will dent with ease. The harder the wood the more tooling and time it takes also. Keep it simple and shop prices. Online you can get bulk lumber at low cost but your talking alot of lure making. Don't use yellow pine > low quality and its density is mostly sap and thats not much to talk about but it does make good practice wood. It will take plenty of practice and then its balance after that and thats another subject.