Marty Gutzman

Screw in worm weight inserts

Does anyone know where to buy the inserts that have the screw in part of a worm weight. I was told that you pour a worm sinker and then epoxy the insert into the cavity. These weights are expensive and I was told it's because of the time involved in assembly. If I could get the inserts I could make a bunch over the winter when I'm bored.

Does anyone know where to buy the inserts that have the screw in part of a worm weight. I was told that you pour a worm sinker and then epoxy the insert into the cavity. These weights are expensive and I was told it's because of the time involved in assembly. If I could get the inserts I could make a bunch over the winter when I'm bored.

If you are talking about screw in bullet weights for plastic worms, I made my own. Just wind a small diameter wire around a nail to make the screw part. Cut to the length you want. Epoxy the wire to the worm sinker. I made a little stand which was nothing more than small nails with the heads cut off nailed into a piece of wood. Slide the bullet weights over the nails nose down, concave side up. This will keep the hole for the fishing line open through the weight. Put a little epoxy in the base of the weight and slide the wire screw that you cut over the nail and into the epoxy. The rig is like a little jig that will suport the wire and keep the bullet weigh vertical while the epoxy drys. I've make dozens of these and they work just as well as store bought screw in weights.

How about a few pictures SWO?

I'll post some tonight. The ones I made didn't have rattles, they were just screw in bullet weights. They were easy to make though. You can save yourself a ton of money. The ones you buy are about $1.00 each at Bass Pro Shops and you can make them for pennies.

OK, here you go. I happen to have some .026" stainless wire for making steel leaders that I used, but anything close should work. Wind a piece of wire around a finishing nail like in the picture. Once you make enough winds, spread the coils out until you get the space between the coils that you want so at this point, you should have what looks like a spring. Cut the coil into approx. 3/8" long pieces to make the individual screw part. Make sure you leave the first two coils in each piece touching so you get a flat base to set into the weight.

The jig is just a piece of wood with holes drilled into it. The vertical rods are just pieces of straightened out paper clip. (I went high budget on this one). Place a new bullet weight over the rod like in the picture. Put a drop of your favorite epoxy in the concave part of the bullet weight. Slide the coil that you cut over the rod and into the concave base. The rod keeps the epoxy from running down into the weight and plugging up the hole.

You can always run a small drill bit through the hole to remove excess epoxy if needed. The store bought weights have a tube running through them to make feeding your line easier, but I found it to be unnecessary.

Weights003.jpg?t=1200707048

Weights004.jpg?t=1200707123

Weights005.jpg?t=1200707170

Weights006.jpg?t=1200707214

I tried making some screw in worm weights today. I made a jig like SWO's but I couldn't get the epoxy to glue the spring to the weight. Any one else having problems with it?

Charkins,

I used a 2 part expoy that was pretty thick. I used enough to fill up the concave mouth of the bullet weight where the spring sits. I think JB Weld might work even better, but let the JB Weld set up for a while before you use it so it isn't runny.