FiR3 TiG3R

double hooks

hi guys,

sorry for the poor terminology used. what i am trying to get at are double hooks(as in treble for 3), placed at about 90 degrees from one another. i have seen some lures using the double hooks fixed directly onto the eyelets(vertical) without the use of a split ring. wish i had a diagram to show, but can't find it. seems simple, neat and tidy on a lure.

if u guys got what i mean, have u used em? what are the pros n cons?

I am a big fan of double hooks in the right situations. I attach them with the points up to make a lure more weedless. I do think it reduces hookups on the front hooks, but I feel the trade off is worth it if ti lets me fish a grassy area.

I usually attach them points down on top water baits, this way they don't snag or damage the lure body and I think the action is better with some baits. I don't feel missing the extra barb is a disadvantage, in fact two sharp barbs are better than three of junk that comes on commercial lures, so I figure I am ahead.

I also use them on my ultalight baits. Losing the extra barbs, solder and split really makes a difference on bait less than 1/4 oz.

mallard,

thanx for enlightening. i managed to find a pic of the hook at owner's website under specialty hooks=double frog hooks.

i seldom see lure with double hooks...only once on an abu lure (tormentor perhaps?)

i don't really fancy using single hooks for my lures, i just don't like the horizontal config of the hook eyelet. i prefer the traditional in-line ones. easier to tune :)

thanx a heap dude

a froend of mine makes them. they start rusting if scratched, but r the sharpest hoocks i've seen. They don't bend, adn i usually buy them for 8-10 USD cents a piece, so i didn't mind changing them after a while.

I used to use thhem on some UL baits, but i dun't make the UL baits that much anymore.

Hi Guys,

I'am in complete accord with you.I recently purchased 1000 V.M.C no.2 dyna-steel trebles and found one that didn't have a third leg.I immediately slipped it on a lure[no split rings and no pliers] you're right;Ifound it to be very hard to snag with the hooks turned upwards.Feeling pretty happy with my new find I contacted the local V.M.C. dealer but was eventually informed that no,they don't make them and are not likley to in the future.This I find strange because they'd be easier to manufacture.Anyhow if anyone knows who makes them I be interested to here from you.

Regards Barramundi

guys thanx for da feedbacks. i bought myself some VMC double hooks too to try out. simply quick n easy to fit. they are removing it from their lineup? gosh then i better get more. i'm hooked on this hook. only drawback is i can't dress the hook like i would a treble. also, when compressed laterally the give way, oh well, give n take here n there.

LaPala bro,

yup i managed to find em on owner's site too. but the pricing is too steep for my liking. trying to source for some more alternatives over here. thanxagain sifu