BobP

Shaping Wood Baits - ??

I agree with Michael on the sanders.

Unless you are working with a fairly dense wood I am unsure about the consistency of the radius. Woods like balsa would just get chewed up in no time.

Jigs are hand and finger savers. They also help increase productivity and insure consistency in your work. Cabinet makers have tons of jigs they rely on to keep there work consistence.

Riverman you have a PM?

Just finished 4 this am. Took my template and traced it on rectangular pieces and turned them down, The radius was perfect and shaped up nice. Almost no hand sanding involved. Wont work for drop-bellied baits as well, but the symetrical designs are a snap. Even drilled one for a through wire even though I have no prob with screw eyes. The seal coat is curing now so it will be a day or so before I can show them. Will try to get a picture posted.

Jerk

Some interesting ideas. I have used a Dremel router attachment on ice fishing rod handles like the Green Hornet from the movie Grumpy Ole Men. But think the smaller lures would be very hard to control. Giant muskie lures might work okay.

One idea I saw a while back is to use a piece of tubing or pipe (PVC or other) cut it in half length wise and us it as a backing/holder/guide for sand paper.

Myself, I use my trusty pocket knives on the white cedar lures, single edge razor blade and exacto knife on the balsa lures, then larger sanding boards used for finger nails. Those boards can be vacuumed during use and also washed and reused many times. Of course I'm not trying to do thousands of lures either.

I shaped about a half dozen baits with my rasp this week. It was good therapy shaping by hand but it took longer and the results were the same as sanding on the drum sander. The rasp made quick work of ceder but the hand sanding took longer because I had to remove the rasp marks.

My in-laws are getting me one of these for Christmas:

20021129200000_SA180_72dpi_400.jpg

I am all for hand work, I do a lot of hand painting, but if a machine is better, quicker, faster, I am all for it.