- - - - -

New To Lure Making and Have a Couple Questions....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 joshargenbright

• TU Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

I am brand new to lure making and I was just curious if you all could help answer some questions that I have about the art...

1) What is the best type of wood to use?
2)Do you know a good place to by the little pieces I need... such as spoons, hooks, etc? Maybe a catalog I can order or something similar other than making a trip to Bass Pro?

#2 wsswesty

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 06:16 PM

I normally use basswood for my lures. I'm sure the fellows on here will give you some other ideas. As for the lure components, I order most of my hardware from Jans Netcraft. You can do a Google search and find Jan's easily. Hope this helps!

#3 bassbuster

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:33 PM

I would do like wsswesty said and go to jannsnetcraft.com. They have great deals I gave them a try week before last and it was quick and simple only took a few days to get them. As for wood I have been experimenting with poplar and it is easy to work with if you have a rotary tool. You can make some great poppers out of it. Hope this helps you in getting started.

#4 scoop10

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:21 AM

go look at staminainc.com as well.

unfortunately, Jann's offers some stuff that Stamina doesn't and vice versa. I like Stamina's stick-on eyes. For whatever reason, they lay a lot flatter than those from Jann's. Stamina also sells some precut Lexan. Jann's has some injection molded lips.