Tom S

Crankbait weighting problem

Is it best to keep the weight on flat sided crankbaits as low as possible?On my flat sided cranks I was using a lot of lead to get them to sit right in the water and to keep the belly down at high speeds. I wanted to use as little lead as possible thinking it was robbing action by adding too much weight, so instead of drilling 2 big holes in from the bottom and filling with lead, I thought I would mill a slot in the belly and lay mojo sinkers in the slot and epoxy over. That keeps the lead at the very bottom of the belly and uses less lead to balance. Am I thinking right?? I did try this and I was not happy with the action, but I changed other things on this bait as well so I dont know what is causing the problem. I used white cedar instead polyboard and its thru wire instead of screw eyes.

Tom

what is the bait doing rolling? blowing out I don't worry as much about the weight being low just as long as it's balanced in the water and the lip angle allows for a smooth angle of decent my weight is all in the lower 3rd of the bait horizontally and the front 1/2 if the weight went beyond the halfway point it was bad but those look great your on the right track my baits are a bit different but the theory's should apply the same

Good luck

John

Liberty of a drawing program??? LOL, but that shape would have the weight concentrated in lowest point & the bulk control the COG

U figure out how best to do that shape, too many choices. Custom cast, hammer a round weight flat & cut out, shape the cavity in lure & pour lead in, many more to list all. Whatever works best for ya, may not need that shape even.