chirmy

Tip replacement

You need to replace the "tip top" guide. If the guide is wrapped on with thread, you'll have to remove that first. If not, it can be removed usually by gently heating but not with direct flame. The glue should loosen and you can remove it and can clean off the blank. You can use epoxy to affix the new tip top guide if you like. I prefer the use of epoxy. Guides are sized in 64th's of an inch, so you'll need to make a measurement of the blank tip. You can do this online on one of the many supplier web site such as mudhole.com You can order the color of the guide to match and possibly the insert color as well. Use a 2 part epoxy and apply only enough to make a good bond. Excess can be cleaned off before setting with denatured alocohol. When yo place the tip on the blank, give it a twist to spread the epoxy evenly and then make sure it is lined up with the other guides. Then just let it set. If the guide you get is too large to fit snug on the blank, you will need to shim it by wrapping some thread on the tip of the blank before applying the epoxy. If the guide is wrapped on with thread, write me and I will explain how to safely remove the thread and finish. It sounds a lot harder than it is. It can be done in only a few mins and then you can fish as soon as the epoxy sets up good. Don't want to try it ? Check out tackleworks for a rod builder/repair nearest you. Good luck !

Maze

Maze,

WOW, I would not touch my rods if my life depended on them. I need someone to blame if I lose a fish or screw up :wink: . I found a guy in town that will replace the ceramic ring in my tip. It chiped and seems to be cutting/abrasing the line.

Thanks for the help, I checked out mudhole and am very impressed.

Do yourself a big favor and have him replace the guide and not the insert. If the new insert fails while you are fishing it could cut your line and end your day. I have been told that guys have replaced the inserts and had them hold for years. For a dollar or two more, it's not worth the risk to me. Just my 2 cents worth.

Maze

Thanks Maze,

Just as you said he replaced the tip. I found someone here local that makes custom rods. Scarry site seeing someone put fire to the rod that you rely on. I use Hookhider rods and when he saw them he went to order some of the grips. He is going to put them on his customs. Thanks again for all your help.