silverdoctor

paint adhesion on crankbait

Ok, been there done that.

After your initial paint scheme (not including eyes, gills, shad spots) I spray 2 coats of "Createx Clear Coat" and let it set up over night. (I use a hair dryer on each coat of clear so it isn't foggy when it sets)

Then if you mess up any detail, it will wipe right off with a damp paper towel or cue tip.

You can use regular masking tape "if" you stick it on several other surfaces before you stick it on the lure...takes most of the stickiness out.

Make stencils for your gills...a piece of plastic off a milk jug works fine and you can see through it pretty much.

Hope this helps ya :)

I would recommend spraying Createx at a minimum of 70 degrees F. Cold and damp conditions slow evaporation & keep the paint from curing. Painting in cold or humid conditions will require heat curing. If you must work @ 55F temps, try a heat lamp, hair dryer or other heat source to warm and dry the Createx.

Also, before you add layers of paint, make sure that the previous ones are fully cured & ensure that all excess moisture has evaporated so that colors will properly adhere.

As for tapes, try Pactra.

http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Pactra/Masking/PAC-MT116.html

Good luck, keep at it.

What Terry said is best, but sometimes I get in a hurry and want to put on several coats in quick succession and skip the clear coat. I find that if I hit the Createx with a hairdryer for about 10 seconds I can then mask it with blue painters tape and it HARDLY ever comes loose when I peel my tape back.