northrivergeek

My First flat side .. comments ?

Hey all looking for feedback on this flat side .. not painted yet .. just looking for feedback , bill length in ratio to body etc .. My wire frame technique needs help .. I bent the wire with small needle nose pliers .. after gluing it up .. I saw the how to bend using wire jig from TU member.. oh well next one will be pur-Tee :grin:

Neat looking body. I also suspect the lip may be too long and you may want to experiment with placing it a bit higher on the nose, and locating the line tie closer to it. I like to experiment but realize there are reasons why most crankbaits have similar lip/line tie placement - it's a reliable design choice. BTW, a Dremel sanding drum is a great tool to reshape lips on the bait.

I took the crank out on the TN river today .. lapala was right lip too long .. so I whipped out the cordless dremel and kept grinding in till didn't roll over any more .. bout half what it was :)

Then I kept playing with the weight till it had the correct wiggle .. now time for paint.. or maybe don't need to paint caught 3 bass on it testing it, biggest was 6 lbs :D I guess they liked the natural balsa look .. sure ain't nothin they had seen b4. lol

Sounds like those fish down there in VOL Land like them old brown shad.LOL You may want to try a coffin style bill,they have a tendency to deflect off cover a little better than round ones.It was kind of hard to tell what kind of bill you had.I also was going to agree with LaPalma in legnth and also I agree that you may want to get the line tie a little closer to the lip, but if your catchin fish like that maybe I'll change mine!!!! Sorry for the late post,I've been kinda busy lately.Cold weather and bait making go hand in hand