muskydan666

What you guys put before primer on wooden bait???

Hi to you all!!Im new to this board and very happy to know that there is a to exchange knowledge about bait making!!!I make some musky cranks for about 3 years now and have learn about all by my self!my baits works very nice,even caught a few on them this year!!but I have a big probleme!!!!????one ot of two the paint crack after a few minute in the water!??? :censored: I use poplar wood,white primer(spay can)auto air paint and a polyurethane clear coat.So now my question is do you use any wood sealer before puting the primer coat???and if so what kind do you use????

thank you for your advice.

muskydan666.

im sending you a pic so you could see the problem.

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

crack_lure_003_210.jpg

1691_thumb.attach

You need to seal the wood before priming. Poplar will soak up water pretty quick if it can get to the bare wood. That is what causes paint to peel off. I use boiled linseed oil mixed with mineral spirits. 60% linseed to 40% spirits. Dip the plug in the mix, let soak, pull out and let the excess drip off, then wipe down with a rag or paper towel. Hang to dry for a week. Then prime as usual. Be sure to read the warnings on the boiled linseed can about disposal of rags.

Andrew

You need to seal the wood before priming. Poplar will soak up water pretty quick if it can get to the bare wood. That is what causes paint to peel off. I use boiled linseed oil mixed with mineral spirits. 60% linseed to 40% spirits. Dip the plug in the mix' date=' let soak, pull out and let the excess drip off, then wipe down with a rag or paper towel. Hang to dry for a week. Then prime as usual. Be sure to read the warnings on the boiled linseed can about disposal of rags.

Andrew[/quote']

That's because linseed oil soaked rags WILL spontaneously combust! When you're done with them, wet them with water and dispose of them outside the house.

There is a tutorial by Tally on how to seal with disolved plastic. It's in the How To knowledge base.

if its poplar good luck. the problem many musky bait makers is regional water temp fluctuations. expansion contraction. as we all actually think we have sealed a bait from water is a mis-conception as one tooth hole or rock chip will allow water in. thats why a good sealer definately will correct problems of paint blow off. a good lacquer sanding sealer can be primed in 1 hours time. ventilation and no open flames are a must unless you want to be launched like a scud missle

A good wooden bait takes a lot of time to complete. Forget about the "quickest" way to get it done.

I use a good epoxy (NU-Lustre-55) to coat the wood, then it is put on a drying wheel to cure. Scuff sand and paint, then coat with epoxy again using the wheel to cure it. It is like painting a plastic lure.

The completed bait is tough! It will survive bouncing off a concrete floor without chipping. If a big musky tooth does penetrate (lucky you!) then it can be patched with a tiny drop of epoxy. Never fish a wounded bait as wet wood will expand, cracking the finish.

im in southern ontario. you could try lee valley tool. they carried a good wood sealer. i dont know if you have rona lumber your way . they may carry the sealer also. the new lustre you have right where your at. it comes from there right.. if you have any questions e mail me. i will try to help you out

If you are in Quebec, try the Nu-Lustre-55, like woodie said, it's made there. It should be available from any good hardware, or Co-Op store. If you dont have a drying wheel, you can get away with hanging the freshly coated lure and then turn it end for end each 5-10 minutes, untill it cures enough to stay in place.

Once you try it you'll always wonder why you spent your time with thin undercoats. You will want to finish the top-coat with something super tough anyway, or else your gonna have cracked and chipped paintjobs from water getting into the wood. (Muskies have big teeth!) All harware should be installed prior to top-coating.

Nu-Lustre-55 is the stuff that they use to finish wooden bar tops with, or those old artsy pictuers in the 70's that look like they have a thick coating of plastic. Sorta like a Rapala from twenty years ago.... nice.