Glaucus

Epoxy causing colors to bleed

Has anyone else have a problem with epoxies dissolving paints and causing them to run & bleed? I used straight E-tex, no solvent or thinner, and had the color bleed from this 3D eye. I?ve also noticed the E-tex becomes tinted when applied over baked/oven cured powder paint. After coating with epoxy, I hang my spinnerbaits to cure with the hooks down so that the epoxy flows and drips off the hook and I can see a slight tint of color in hardened droplets that form on the hooks.

Here?s a pic of a white spinnerbait with orange 3D eyes, it?s illuminated with black light so that the color streak from the eye will show.

epoxybleed.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/glaucus_fisher/epoxybleed.jpg

BTW, I would try Devcon, but I can?t find any here in Canada.

I've had the same thing happen with Etex and assume it has a bit of solvent in it to thin the mix and make it easy to pour. It is designed as a pour-on table finish. I don't have the same problem with Devcon 2 Ton but can see where a thin epoxy like Etex would be preferable if you want to dip jig heads. Yeah, an intermediate water based clearcoat should fix the problem.

Etex will cause paint problems for me when:

1. I use Auto Air

2. Or taxidermy paints....forget the brand name I tried right now;

Last time I used the Auto Air I ran a hair dryer of it in an attempt to "cure" the paint. I then let the lure sit for a solid week and the etex still tweaked with the paint. If you stick with regular createx and etex you will have no probs but with what you are doing this might not be the best option. You could hit all of them with some spray on Rustoleum Lacquer, let dry, then etex. The lacquer dries really quickly and is easy to apply.

jed v.

I use devcon 2 ton epoxy and createx paints and have never had any kind of bleeding problems with this combination and I use allot of different colors.I do set the paint with a blow dryer before applying the epoxy.I know this may not apply to the etex brand but heatsetting your paint just might help you some.

If I understand you correctly, the bleeding is coming from the eyes? Do you dot the eyes yourself? Once in a while, I get bleed simply because I cleared to soon (devcon). Make sure the eyes (dot) is completely dry and remember that it is puddled so it will take a bit more time to dry. Some of my baits I do this intentionally because it can create a unique effect.

Tally

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mr. B, you hit the nail on the head, I hate losing 3D eyes when they peel and fall off. That?s the main reason I use epoxy on spinnerbait heads, to keep those eyes on. I think that the solvent in the vinyl clear coat might be a bit too strong and cause more problems than the E-tex, but I?ll give?er a go. I do like the fact that it dries quick.

BobP, I?m gonna give the water based clear coat from luremaking.com a try as well.

Thanks again, and have a Merry Christmas!