Hoodaddy

Plastic coat

Well I finally got around to trying the plastic coating by melting Solo cups in laquer thinner.Did'nt work for me.I wound up with a lump of melted plastic in the bottom of a jar.I thought I followed directions to the tee and used the right cups but no good.Although it did work with MEK,but man what a stinking mess.I think I'll be high for a few days,even with ventilation.The only thing that it did with MEK is I imagine the air that released out of the balsa made a whole lot of bubbles.Think I'll stick with 2part even though I did like how fast it set.Any advice???

I used regular old paint thinner and the Solo cups and it worked great. After it sits for awhile in the jar the plastic settles in the bottom but I just shook it up real good before each coat and it dissolved back to the mixture again. Sometimes old thinner will lose its Octane I guess you can call it.

Hey guys, new to the site. I really enjoy learning from you all. I am looking for a new top coat besides devcon, and this plastic coat seems interesting. What is the process for "melting" solo cups in thinner, mix ratios, and application? Plus how does this coat hold up compared to the epoxy coats. Thanks

Petros,

The plastic coat they are talking about is a coat to seal the wood before you paint. It's not a final finish coat like devcon.

The platic dip makes a great platform to paint on and it also gives the bait another seal coat besides the two (well at least for me) coats of devcon.

Hope this helps

Camel1918

"Lacquer thinner" and "paint thinner" - are generic mixtures of solvents. There is no one formula and the formula can change in the same brand. For instance, I used Kleen Strip lacquer thinner for years. Great for cleaning epoxy brushes and thinning epoxy. My last can didn't smell the same and doesn't work worth a darn. The main ingredient used to be "petroleum distillates". Now the main ingredient is "alcohols" and petroleum distillate is listed next to last in the ingredient list. It also has a different Product Number (QML170) on the side of the can. Lesson: on solvent mixtures, you gotta read the ingredients. Obviously, the increased price of petroleum distillates led Kleen Strip to use them less and alcohols more. The price has almost doubled in a year anyway, so Kleen Strip profitability is probably doing just fine. 8O